Steering Wheel Shake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have it b4?

I notice a slight shake in the steering wheel at high speed. When I hit 45mph I feel the steering wheel vibrate, 55-60mph its pretty much shaking, 65 its good, 70 its normal.

Also, I have not installed my upper Al's-arms which I do believe they may cure the issue (longer A-arms and an alignment). Before I jump into thinking what is going on I wanted to get your advice.

This all reminds me of Death Wobble that I got on my 3.5" lifted XJ before installing the t-case drop...lol.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, Ive heard all about DW and im glad ive never experienced it!

The alignment may help, but You may need to get the tires balanced. It doesnt matter if they were balanced awhile back, as the tire wears it gets off-balance. Mine did shake but it seems to of went away? \:D/

jay15901

Reaction score
it does sound like a wheel balancing problem, can happen with any car

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't the wheel shake be a symptom of ball joint wear?

I had the same symptoms on a Charger where it would shake through a certain speed zone; on either side of the speed zone it was fine - and it was the ball joints.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball joints are a possibilty, but I had that a little while back and a tire balance and alignment solved it entirely.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem...my steering wheel shakes at highway speeds...above 65 mph. But it varies in intensity...sometimes it's OMG is this thing gonna fall apart, and sometimes it's barely noticeable.

I have had wheel balances and alignments and nothing has helped. I have given up for now and figure I will see if it goes away whenever I get the ball joints done and get new tires.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the ball joint recall done on my Jeep so I hope its not that. I am pretty convinced that the A-arms installation along wtih an alignment and wheel balance will fix the issue.

Death Wobble...god I remember that! haha.

gypsygirl

Reaction score
I had this problem (except once it started, there was no highway-safe speed that I could get it to stop). First dealership said the tires were balanced fine and they did the BJ recall. It still happened so I took it to another dealership. They balanced the front tires (yesterday) and now it seems to be fixed.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine used to shake violently when braking, down from 50 to 30 mph. I went to the dealer, they said warped rotors, low brakes. They did the brake job after bunch of $$$$ later, vibrations were gone.

gypsygirl

Reaction score
I spoke with someone who said his shook due to the brake rotors and it did not only shake when applying the brakes. I'm not sure mine is taken care of, afterall, so I might take it back and insist they check them.