Steering wheel controls for radio do not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper

Reaction score
I just bought my first Jeep!!!

It's a 2004 Liberty Limited. The steering wheel controls for the radio are not working. I find it hard to believe that something like that can just fail. The radio is stock. It's the CD/Cassette combo.

I checked the fuse that is labeled radio chock, number 18 if I remember correctly. Not sure if there is another fuse I should check as everything else is working.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advanced.
Jerry

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the "Clockspring" inside the steering wheel, behind the airbag.
This is what takes the horn, airbag, cruise control and radio wiring down into the main harness.
Otherwise check the connections below/behind the steering column where the clockspring connectors join the harness.

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the previous owner had an aftermarket stereo that they replaced with the stock before they sold it?

Trooper

Reaction score
apukareem - I do not know if there was an aftermarket radio installed. I am taking it in on Monday to have the rear regulator repaired. I email Jeep about the window and the radio and they said I should take it in and they will take care of it. How sweet is that?