Steam (white smoke) on start-up - Cherokee (Liberty) 2.8CRD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Todd

Reaction score
Hi there. I have just joined so I apologise if this subject has come up before.

I bought this vehicle last Autumn and one of the first things I noticed was that it didn't have antifreeze, so I drained it and refilled with a -25C antifreeze - I am in southwest France and even in January it didn't go below about -5C during the night. The Jeep was running well with no sign of a misfire nor any odd exhaust smoke.

Then late last month, after it had stood for 2 weeks while I was in hospital, when I started it and drove away I was followed by a long cloud of white smoke that lasted for about 4 or 5 minutes, then it cleared. Again no sign of a misfire, nor any overheating. For the rest of the journey there was no smoke and it ran well.

On two occasions since, after standing for 2 or 3 days the same thing happens. I have checked and there is no mayonnaise in the oil filler cap, nor any sign of pressure or bubbles in the radiator overflow tank - I can leave the cap off and rev up the engine and the level doesn't seem to change. The level has dropped though. There also appears to be no sign of water in the oil nor an increase in the oil level.

In the hope that it isn't the head gasket, is there any other way that water can be entering the engine on start-up, either from the inlet manifold or elsewhere? I should add that whilst smoking there is a strong, sweet smell of what I believe is burnt antifreeze.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the source of the problem?

Many thanks,

John

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
I've never tried it, but I'm sure you could pressurize each cylinder say up to the recommended compression of the engine specs with compressed air and see if bubbles form in the coolent. That would confirm that you have a head gasket problem.

John Todd

Reaction score
I've never tried it, but I'm sure you could pressurize each cylinder say up to the recommended compression of the engine specs with compressed air and see if bubbles form in the coolent. That would confirm that you have a head gasket problem.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure how I could do that as Diesels run at a very high compression so I assume I would need an adaptor to fit either the injector or the glow plug threads and the line from my compressor. Unless someone has an idea how I could do this?

John Todd

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'm not sure how I could do that as Diesels run at a very high compression so I assume I would need an adaptor to fit either the injector or the glow plug threads and the line from my compressor. Unless someone has an idea how I could do this?

In any case wouldn't running the engine, which I have done, do the same thing? No bubbles were apparent.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The easiest method for checking the 2.8 CRD is to start the engine when it's completely cold; let it idle for a minute or two; shut it off and remove the radiator cap. If there's any pressure release you probably have a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Another possibility for your smoke cloud is a fuel injector stuck open due to water in the fuel that froze inside the injector. My CRD blew a big cloud of smoke and ran poorly for about five minutes after it sat at the airport in the cold for about a week. I couldn't see the color of my smoke because it was dark. A friend told me that the catalytic converter can change fuel smoke to white making it look like a coolant leak.

John Todd

Reaction score
The easiest method for checking the 2.8 CRD is to start the engine when it's completely cold; let it idle for a minute or two; shut it off and remove the radiator cap. If there's any pressure release you probably have a blown head gasket or cracked head.

Another possibility for your smoke cloud is a fuel injector stuck open due to water in the fuel that froze inside the injector. My CRD blew a big cloud of smoke and ran poorly for about five minutes after it sat at the airport in the cold for about a week. I couldn't see the color of my smoke because it was dark. A friend told me that the catalytic converter can change fuel smoke to white making it look like a coolant leak.

Thanks for that. Subject to the weather I'll try that tomorrow. A friend also suggested that whitish smoke can be over-fuelling of diesel.

John Todd

Reaction score
Well the mystery continues. I tried starting it up and running it for a few minutes on tickover then carefully removed the cap to the reservoir. No pressure and no bubbles. There's no mayonnaise in the oil filler cap and no sign of water in the engine oil, the level of which has not risen. However I keep losing water somewhere. Is it possible that I am losing water into the inlet manifold, or can water somehow get around the back of the engine and into the exhaust manifold? It happened again yesterday after not using the Jeep for 3 days, but not as bad as a few weeks ago. It seems that the longer I don't use it the worse the clouds of white smoke are.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check your water pump weep hole first. That might account for the loss of coolant. If it's weeping replace it, and the timing belt, soon. If the water pump stops turning the timing belt dies and so do the rockers and maybe the valves.

The EGR valve is water cooled so that might allow coolant into the intake.

Otherwise it could be a cracked head letting coolant seep into a cylinder. Pull the glow plugs, and the ASD relay, and crank the engine watching to see if water sprays out of any of the glow plug holes.

John Todd

Reaction score
Thanks, that's very helpful. I have the timing belt kit together with new water pump etc and plan to fit the new one late this week. I'll do the serpentine belt and pulleys at the same time. I'll try to see whether whilst stripped there are any clues as to the disappearing coolant.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you have fixed your Jeep...make sure you only use a HOAT or correct Zerex anti-freeze.

I am not familiar with the -25 Deg C anti-freeze you have referred to!;)

John Todd

Reaction score
Once you have fixed your Jeep...make sure you only use a HOAT or correct Zerex anti-freeze.

I don't know what HOAT and Zerex antifreezes are! I'm in SW France and have to buy what's available - minus 10C, minus 15C, minus 25C and so on.