2009 kk Liberty/ Cherokee 2.8crd crank sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Niloc

Reaction score
Hi

I have a non starting 2.8 crd which has been diagnosed as a crank position sensor failure.
Got the part in order and I am trying to ascertain where the crank sensor is located on the diesel engine.
I have been looking for a workshop manual to give me a hint but the only relevant one I can find is based on the windows internet explorer svg viewer which no longer works on windows 10.
I am guessing it's located to the rear of the engine block somewhere near the transmission but if anyone has a picture or diagram I would be very grateful.

Thank you
Colin

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's behind the downpipe and turbo, a pig to get at if its anything like the 2.8KJ one.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The cam position sensor (behind the exhaust cam) can go bad and stop the engine too.

ID- Parts has some parts for these engines. LOSTJEEPS forum has the most info on these engines.

Timing belt slip a tooth maybe?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Some photos I didn't take.

Left picture doesn't show the crank position sensor but it might help. That's the nifty egr tube.

Right picture shows the cam position sensor, lower left. That's the "hockey puck" just to the right.

Attachments

• 00F0F_5CthaCcN1id_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00F0F_5CthaCcN1id_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 01313_6wn27L2ImCg_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    01313_6wn27L2ImCg_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 15

Niloc

Reaction score
The cam position sensor (behind the exhaust cam) can go bad and stop the engine too.

ID- Parts has some parts for these engines. LOSTJEEPS forum has the most info on these engines.

Timing belt slip a tooth maybe?
Thanks for info the breakdown had all the kit for testing and told me it was the crankshaft sensor gone faulty but I will confirm that before I dive into the engine bay

Niloc

Reaction score
Hi
one more question now I have a good idea where to look.
Is the sensor better accessible from underneath the car as I have a good set of ramps I can use or is accesing it from the top the best way

thanks again

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both I'm afraid, I dropped the header tank so I could get to the plug and then attacked the sensor from underneath. I think access is actually a bit better on the later Jeeps with the VNT, mine was a pig! I finished up having to use an Allan bit in a short ratcheting ring spanner on cap head screw that holds it in.

Niloc

Reaction score
Hi everyone

still on the same subject I am really struggling to find the correct crankshaft sensor. I think the part number is 680294AA . Can someone please confirm this sensor should have an oil seal ring on it as the sensor I received did not .
I am very confused at the moment as you search for the specific part number and the searches reveal all sorts of different sensors some totally unrelated.
Can anyone recommend a supplier in the uk that may have the part in stock. I am waiting for a reply from chrysler dealer and mopar but none seem to have any stock of the correct part.
Thanks
colin

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only buy a Bosch one, there's a lot of Chinese rubbish online. Check your part number, this is what my 2.8 KJ uses.
AutoDoc are reasonable good but I wait until they have a 40% or more discount and order several things to keep the postage down.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630_192029.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630_192029.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 1

Niloc

Reaction score
Hi

I think i am being a complete numpty but i cannot find where this crankshaft sensor is. My vehicle is a jeep liberty (cherokee in uk) 2.8 crd ltd 2009 model .
i know the crankshaft sensor part number is 68029496AA and the pics i have seen for it does not have an oil seal washer on.
The first pic i have from Turbodiesel shows it clear as day (but on passenger side which i presume means driver side in uk) but just cannot see it when lay under the car.

Any ideas as to why it evades me i have tried to follow description maybe i am just not competent enough but having spent a good couple of years repairing a LR i dont think i am a complete idiot but now i am not so sure.
any help or sympathy greatly appreciated,

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a pain, you can just touch it behind the downpipe, it's in the bellhousing but round the curve, if you put your phone camera in you will see it.

Niloc

Reaction score
It's a pain, you can just touch it behind the downpipe, it's in the bellhousing but round the curve, if you put your phone camera in you will see it.
Thanks for reply Is it right behind down pipe or slightly foreward or rear of.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Behind and to the rear, the picture TD put up shows it well.
To undo the plug I had to unbolt the coolant tank and move it aside