Starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spanner

Reaction score
Hi all . I'm a new member with a question. A little about myself.
A month ago I traded in my 86 Chevy K10 4x4 for a 2005 Jeep Liberty. My wife is driving the Libby I inherited her taurus wagon. I used to post on the Chevy truck site. We only do some light four wheelin mostly to tow atv trailer into the woods. I miss my truck but we needed a family friendly vehicle since our wagon is 13 yrs old.
We are having an intermitent starting problem with the jeep. maybe once out of every 100 times you try to start it it cranks over very strong (no starter or battery problem) but it doesn't try to start at all. It's like it's getting no spark or fuel. I brought it back to the dealer twice but when they have it it wont act up. They have replaced the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor. I'm thinking it might be the security programed into the key isn't activating the computer to start the injecters. When you keep tying to start it it just fires right up like there was no problem, usually within 5 mins. Engine temp doesn't matter
Any ideas appreciated Thanks.

Last edited:

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think you might get more response in the KJ section, which is what the 05 is... all Liberty's up to 07.

As to your problem - I doubt that it is the Sentry Key. The vehicle will start with a non-Sentry Key, but will shut down after a few seconds.

Also, does the problem occur when the vehicle is hot, cold, or all both? Does it happen only after the vehicle has sat for a few hours, or when it has set over night, etc...?

If it only does it when hot - it could be a faulty temperature sensor.... But I think more detailed information could help figure out the problem.

spanner

Reaction score
Thanks for the response , I'm going to post the question on the kj site. and we have had the problem at all engine temps but it seems more stuborn when it's been running and you shut it down for a minute. Also sometimes when it's acting up it will start and run roughly for a couple seconds before shuting down.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.