Start up issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey so this happens randomly, it will start fine the first time (cold start in the morning) but if I try to start it up shortly after running it around it will spit and sputter and not start up (unless I pump the gas a little). But if I don't pump the gas and try it a second time it starts up just fine.

Any ideas?

p.s. I've had unresolved evap codes in the past, dunno if this could be linked to the problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unresolved EVAP issues can cause hot start up issues,rare but can happen if the EVAP system is sending vapors into the intake when it's not supposed to.Pumping the gas pedal while cranking a FI engine does nothing,holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking a FI engine shuts off the fuel to the injectors to clear a flooded engine.

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm well I'm not calling you a liar but if I dont pump it it kinda runs then dies, and then starts fine the second time. Any ideas what to do with it?

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the fuel pump have anything to do with it? Should I turn it for a few seconds then try and turn it over.

Thanks I just want to get this figured out.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having a similar issue to this. Fuel solvents didn't resolve. My plugs need to be done so that's what I'm looking at next. I changed out the air filter for ***** and giggles too. Still no change. I'm thinking if anything relatively big is failing that it might be the fuel pump because I see a pretty significant drop in gas mileage. That being said, it is also winter, with winter blend gas, and my plugs are done.

I don't know. This issue confuses the sh*t outta me.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the fuel pump have anything to do with it? Should I turn it for a few seconds then try and turn it over.

Thanks I just want to get this figured out.

Still having a similar issue to this. Fuel solvents didn't resolve. My plugs need to be done so that's what I'm looking at next. I changed out the air filter for ***** and giggles too. Still no change. I'm thinking if anything relatively big is failing that it might be the fuel pump because I see a pretty significant drop in gas mileage. That being said, it is also winter, with winter blend gas, and my plugs are done.

I don't know. This issue confuses the sh*t outta me.
Check the fuel pressure then.Should be at least 58 psi and should not drop below 40 psi after 30mins.If the system will not hold pressure,mostly due to a leaking injector or bad pressure regulator,it can make it hard to start after the 1st start of the day.

Let me guess both of you run your tanks down till the low gas light comes on and then you drive some more,also rarely have more then 1/2 tank in at any given time.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure then.Should be at least 58 psi and should not drop below 40 psi after 30mins.If the system will not hold pressure,mostly due to a leaking injector or bad pressure regulator,it can make it hard to start after the 1st start of the day.

Let me guess both of you run your tanks down till the low gas light comes on and then you drive some more,also rarely have more then 1/2 tank in at any given time.

Always fill, never let it fall much below a quarter. So no, not perfect, but average.

Greta

Reaction score
I'm having similar issues. Asked about it on a local Jeep club where I live. Was told by a mechanic to turn the key to the ON position, listen for the fuel pump to kick on (if you listen closely you can hear it), turn it off. Do that a couple more times and it will start up fine. Never did get a chance to go to his shop to have the fuel pressure tested. Just one of those KJ quirks I will live with. Until I get the money to fix it properly.

I try to keep my KJ in the garage when it's cold. It helps when doing a cold weather morning start.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having similar issues. Asked about it on a local Jeep club where I live. Was told by a mechanic to turn the key to the ON position, listen for the fuel pump to kick on (if you listen closely you can hear it), turn it off. Do that a couple more times and it will start up fine. Never did get a chance to go to his shop to have the fuel pressure tested. Just one of those KJ quirks I will live with. Until I get the money to fix it properly.

I try to keep my KJ in the garage when it's cold. It helps when doing a cold weather morning start.

When you turn the key to the "on" position and hear the fuel pump power up (will take 2 seconds or so) You then have the fuel system at full pressure and should be able to just start it from that point. So I don't think doing it a couple more times does anything. Someone can correct me if I am wrong here.

Dave

Greta

Reaction score
It helps for me. I do it a couple times. I was even told by my friend to do that a couple times then try starting it.

I was just passing a long a tip to help the member who was having trouble and others who may be having similar trouble.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel line pressure make sense to me. We add a similar problem last year on a Cessna 172 due to pressure leak on the regulator.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel line pressure make sense to me. We add a similar problem last year on a Cessna 172 due to pressure leak on the regulator.

Actually that does make sense. But I get no EVAP codes... :( What replaceable parts would solve this? I've been following the advice to turn the key to the on position and wait for a few seconds before start and it's been working well.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe soak all the line and everything in soapy water so you can see if you have a easy fix leak somewhere. No bubble, no leak. I would start with this since it's the easiest way to start.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It helps for me. I do it a couple times. I was even told by my friend to do that a couple times then try starting it.

I was just passing a long a tip to help the member who was having trouble and others who may be having similar trouble.

Actually that does make sense. But I get no EVAP codes... :( What replaceable parts would solve this? I've been following the advice to turn the key to the on position and wait for a few seconds before start and it's been working well.
You shouldn't need to wait at all,more so after shutting off the engine 10-15mins before hand as there should still be more then 40psi still in the line(no return line in a KJ).

maybe soak all the line and everything in soapy water so you can see if you have a easy fix leak somewhere. No bubble, no leak. I would start with this since it's the easiest way to start.
Any exteneral fuel leak would be very hard to miss from the puddle growing under the vehicle to the very strong smell of gas,not to mention the total lack of any power.In our returnless FI system there is no extremely small external leak,it will gush at 58psi.Had a '89 Chevy with TBI that runs only 6-8psi through the lines and could spot the pinhole leak(could not even see the hole it was so small) by just looking at the truck,that was at 6-8psi,imagine what 58psi would look like.

Only 2 items will cause that leak down in our system,a injector or the fuel pressure regulator(must replace the whole pump).

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 2 items will cause that leak down in our system,a injector or the fuel pressure regulator(must replace the whole pump).

I've actually been trying to use fuel stabilizers every once in a while to see if it will help, along with premium gas every once in a while too. Will this truly help the injectors or is it all a load of BS? :bs: I may or may not try to Seafoam a tank of gas, but I'm not sure that will help either. At the rate I'm going, looks like I might need a new fuel pump. Not the worst thing in the world.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
FWIW dude ....I had my injectors cleaned at the dealership .. I still have this problem intermittently. So ya .. more likely the fuel pump

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
my pleasure ... I'm on my original pump and I doubt the filters have ever been changed. Haven't got that far yet ..lol

I just started "being patient" before cranking her over ... It has not reappeared yet. I'm just so used to jumping in and starting it up with the slightest and very brief pressure on the key, that when it bogs down and shuts off it really surprises me. Then I get her started, drive it (to the next store) for 2 minutes get out .. back in .. and it starts like normal.

Note: I have not completely ruled out my battery yet though either.. it is going on 4 years and is due.

Members online

No members online now.