Stalled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAZDASPEED

Reaction score
Our '07 automatic Liberty stalled while backing into the driveway today....Any thoughts?

MAZDASPEED

Reaction score
I'll have to check with the wife. It happened to her mid day while I was at work, she told me when I got home. No codes flashing now, road was dry but sandy when it happened.

Maybe I'll swing by a dealer, she's got moisture in the left headlight too.

07Latitude

Reaction score
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34895

Give that a read. Sounds like my issue. Unfortunately, I can't get my Jeep in anytime soon. Stuff keeps coming up. But, if you take yours in before mine, please let me know their answer. And again, be sure to read through my post. Some good info.

EDIT: I'll bet it happened cutting the wheel to full-lock in one direction or the other while slowly idling backwards. I can get the Jeep to do it almost every time if I am in the right spot.

Last edited:

MAZDASPEED

Reaction score
So I swung by the dealer last week...checked for codes and made sure it had the most recent programing...everything checked out. It's only stalled on us once so we'll see how it goes. If it becomes an issue, I'll make it an issue. Wish I had more info to tell you 07Latitude.

They also said to bring the Jeep in when the headlight is fogged and they'll replace it. I'll wait for the next batch of rain and bring it in.

I also noticed a slight rattle in the exhaust system last week rolling thru the parking garage at work. They said that th baffles in the muffler are loose, they've ordered a new one and it should be in tomorrow. The part on the repair slip mentions the cat and the price listed is $1380....I hope they ordered the right parts. Either way, I'll take as many new replacement parts as possible before we get ready to leave the warranty period. Anyone else had an exhaust rattle?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else had an exhaust rattle?
Yeah but both times was trail damage.1st time I slammed the whole weight of my KJ onto the ****** skid(SkidRow) and bent it a little so as for the "Y" pipe to tap it,real annoying until I straightened the skid.The 2nd time I crushed my Borla muffler,from 6" thick to 2" thick,got about 2mpg on the drive home.

07Latitude

Reaction score
So I swung by the dealer last week...checked for codes and made sure it had the most recent programing...everything checked out. It's only stalled on us once so we'll see how it goes. If it becomes an issue, I'll make it an issue. Wish I had more info to tell you 07Latitude.

If you don't mind, try finding a parking lot or somewhere and idling it around w/the steering wheel locked in one direction or another. I can just about get mine to do it almost every time if I do it right. Or try to back into parking spaces more often. See if yours does it more than just the once. Again, if you don't mind, and if you can do so safely.

I'd be curious if mine does it more often, or if it is just how I back into spaces (which I do on a daily basis).

Thanks!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind, try finding a parking lot or somewhere and idling it around w/the steering wheel locked in one direction or another. I can just about get mine to do it almost every time if I do it right. Or try to back into parking spaces more often. See if yours does it more than just the once. Again, if you don't mind, and if you can do so safely.

I'd be curious if mine does it more often, or if it is just how I back into spaces (which I do on a daily basis).

Thanks!
Very good way do fry a PS pump,You should never turn the steering wheel to it's "lock" and hold it there for more then about 2-3 seconds.At full lock the PS pump is making it's max output PSI and it's not going anywhere causing the fluid to heat up really fast.Ever notice that whine from the pump when you do that,that means your doing damage to the PS pump.Glad my '02 has a PS cooler on it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^What he said.

Its funny to listen to girls park in my dorms parking lot. They turn the wheel and HOLDDDDDDDDDDD it there while turning. I usually turn it and 'bump' the lock then back it off alittle.

Last edited:

07Latitude

Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Very good way do fry a PS pump,You should never turn the steering wheel to it's "lock" and hold it there for more then about 2-3 seconds.At full lock the PS pump is making it's max output PSI and it's not going anywhere causing the fluid to heat up really fast.Ever notice that whine from the pump when you do that,that means your doing damage to the PS pump.Glad my '02 has a PS cooler on it.

I don't hold it there while backing in but 2-3 seconds...if you took a second to logically think about the process of backing into a parking spot (where I mentioned my problem occurs in my linked post) before posting. If you hold it at lock for over 2-3 seconds, wouldn't you just be going in a circle anyways? Or if backing into a spot, wouldn't you back into the car next to you? :rolleyes: And, for the record, at least with my Jeep, it doesn't whine or anything at lock...but rather most of the time either shudder and stall the motor or just flat-out smoothly stall the motor.

Anyways, never mind about my request. I don't want the whole forum getting upset by mis-interpreting what I requested and burning their PS pumps out...

MAZDASPEED, if you do have it happen again, let me know what the stealership says though. I'd still be interested.

Thanks.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was backing into a space today on a hill and the car stalled. Kind of sucked because I was parallel parking and narrowly missed rolling into the car in front of me. I attributed it to being a steep hill but my wheel was turned so maybe its the same issue you guys have experienced as well. I don't think my wheel was turned to lock though as I rarely go all the way.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was backing into a space today on a hill and the car stalled. Kind of sucked because I was parallel parking and narrowly missed rolling into the car in front of me. I attributed it to being a steep hill but my wheel was turned so maybe its the same issue you guys have experienced as well. I don't think my wheel was turned to lock though as I rarely go all the way.

Yeap!.....i think Jeep has just screwed up in switching the ****** from what they had in the 2002 model to what they have now! I really think they at the very least need to work on having a FLASH done on fixing the newer model "mini van" Trans, to "act" like the older (2002) model Trans. Me and my wife own both....She drives a 2002 and I drive the 2006.....Its a WORLD of differance!!! I just dream of having her ****** in my 2006 model. Its so much stronger in any shape or form!!. You can tell it anywhere beyond 1800RPMs.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Yeap!.....i think Jeep has just screwed up in switching the ****** from what they had in the 2002 model to what they have now! I really think they at the very least need to work on having a FLASH done on fixing the newer model "mini van" Trans, to "act" like the older (2002) model Trans. Me and my wife own both....She drives a 2002 and I drive the 2006.....Its a WORLD of differance!!! I just dream of having her ****** in my 2006 model. Its so much stronger in any shape or form!!. You can tell it anywhere beyond 1800RPMs.

Heck, my girlfriend's 2006 Liberty's trans shifts much better than my 2007's. The only key difference is the addition of electronic "drive by wire" throttle control. I agree the 02 trans is a much better transmission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your killing the engine at low rpm's while turning the steering wheel a couple of things can do that......

1)The pressure relief valve in the PS pump is bad
2)The IAC is not working correctly(Idle Air Control)
3)A combination of 1 and 2
4)The ****** line pressure is to high/to low(affecting the TC lock up and such)
5)A combination of 2 and 4
6)A combination of 1,2,and 4

07Latitude

Reaction score
If your killing the engine at low rpm's while turning the steering wheel a couple of things can do that......

1)The pressure relief valve in the PS pump is bad
2)The IAC is not working correctly(Idle Air Control)
3)A combination of 1 and 2
4)The ****** line pressure is to high/to low(affecting the TC lock up and such)
5)A combination of 2 and 4
6)A combination of 1,2,and 4

Lets say, in my case, my problem is exactly as described in my post. I'd rule out the IAC, if the vehicle idle is perfect at every time except turning at lock, and even then, it can be hit or miss depending. Correct assumption to ignore IAC issues? Or does the programming tell the IAC to bump the idle up at full lock?

Also, regarding trans line pressure...TC lockup isn't present in reverse, is it? Only in forward gears? If so, and if I've had the vehicle stall once at full lock whlie moving FORWARD, I could then point the issue most towards the PS relief valve, right?

As I type this, the more I think about it, I've had it on a couple occasions, while backing into space at full-lock and try to stall, the vehicle shudder and then bump the idle up to about 1200 (which also makes the vehicle lurch and cause an unwanted/unsafe brief rapid increase in speed). That'd be the IAC controlling the idle, right?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or does the programming tell the IAC to bump the idle up at full lock?
As I type this, the more I think about it, I've had it on a couple occasions, while backing into space at full-lock and try to stall, the vehicle shudder and then bump the idle up to about 1200 (which also makes the vehicle lurch and cause an unwanted/unsafe brief rapid increase in speed). That'd be the IAC controlling the idle, right?
The IAC is supposed to control the idle rpm's,when you hold the steering wheel at one of it's "locks" the PS is really straining the engine and that could stall the engine.The IAC is supposed to bring the idle up to compinsate.

Try starting your vehicle,let it idle(warm is prefered) and just turn the whell a little bit L/R and you should see the idle drop then raise,that's the IAC kicking in.You can also turn the A/C on and the same thing will happen.

Maybe the throttle by wire system is just to slow to react to the sudden rpm lose like the manual throttle cable versions due to the complex programming.

07Latitude

Reaction score
Maybe the throttle by wire system is just to slow to react to the sudden rpm lose like the manual throttle cable versions due to the complex programming.

I didn't think about that tjkj2002.....it's slow to react to throttle input compared to a mechanical cable w/a TPS, and just horribly slow compared to an old-school carbureted motor. :eek:

Latest posts

Members online