stacking lifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brybry53

Reaction score
it might seam stupid but is it possible to stack daystars 2.5 in lift for 5 in total?:whip::shrug::favorites68::icon_lol::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::3681700093_1f8b56e8:Bye:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
it might seam stupid but is it possible to stack daystars 2.5 in lift for 5 in total?:whip::shrug::favorites68::icon_lol::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::3681700093_1f8b56e8:Bye:

Yes it would seem stupid, because it is:shrug::icon_lol:
First 5 inches of lift is too high by going that route
With say OME 927s in front giving you 2.5 inches and a crappy butt Daystar it would give you 5 inches of lift
Now it would look cool as all get out sitting in the driveway, cause you would never be able to drive it
CVs would be way maxed out, springs would be touching/ grinding on the UCAs, would be no way to get a proper alignment
and the list goes on
The short of it, there are some of us who have tried every conceivable combination in the last 10-12 years on the KJs . There are right and wrong ways, ways that work, ways that absolutely do not. The suggestion you came up will not. Plus its been tried with disastrous results.
So you can build a poser or build one for example like my 04 that has almost 200,000 miles lifted

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it would seem stupid, because it is:shrug::icon_lol:
First 5 inches of lift is too high by going that route
With say OME 927s in front giving you 2.5 inches and a crappy butt Daystar it would give you 5 inches of lift
Now it would look cool as all get out sitting in the driveway, cause you would never be able to drive it
CVs would be way maxed out, springs would be touching/ grinding on the UCAs, would be no way to get a proper alignment
and the list goes on
The short of it, there are some of us who have tried every conceivable combination in the last 10-12 years on the KJs . There are right and wrong ways, ways that work, ways that absolutely do not. The suggestion you came up will not. Plus its been tried with disastrous results.
So you can build a poser or build one for example like my 04 that has almost 200,000 miles lifted

Only way for 5 is a cradle drop.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But then with cradle drop opens up a whole lot of other things most either don't know how to do or don't want to do it right
Issues with UCAs, front driveshaft etc
Lot of tried over the years but not many succeeded on their own:icon_lol:
Now Marlins KJ with the 6 inch drives great, drove it quite a bit while I was there

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm dumb and dont know much. What is a cradle drop and why i never heard of it til now?

Due to not many doing it is one reason
Do do it you drop the engine cradle down 1/2 to one inch which also moves the front diff etc down
Downsides are you now changed the angle of the front driveshaft, steering, UCAs are now closer to hitting since they are more of an angle etc
Can't just do a cradle drop and stop there lots more has to be done
THEN of course you have gained no ground clearance at all anyways

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The cradle drop has my interest. The gist of it is make up some spacers and use longer bolts. I'm going to try for ~1" in hopes to run 31" tires. (Currently running 2" Teraflex lift and RRO arms). Most informative thread I've read on the subject...
LOST JEEPS • View topic - Question - Problems doing a 1" cradle drop

I did one on mine back a few years ago , just for a test
soon put it back, to me too many other things had to be changed to make it work properly long term like I like to build things
Not as simple as just dropping the cradle down an inch and be good

Installing a good lift would be so much better than a cradle drop

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did one on mine back a few years ago , just for a test
soon put it back, to me too many other things had to be changed to make it work properly long term like I like to build things
Not as simple as just dropping the cradle down an inch and be good

To me, its worth it for some extra lift (for bigger tires) that doesn't add more angle to the A-arms or CVs.... care to fill us in? :popcorn:

When you gettin' started???
I tried fastenal last week, but they don't stock much for long metric bolts. Have to be ordered in. Soon... soon... :gr_grin:

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, its worth it for some extra lift (for bigger tires) that doesn't add more angle to the A-arms or CVs.... care to fill us in? :popcorn:

I tried fastenal last week, but they don't stock much for long metric bolts. Have to be ordered in. Soon... soon... :gr_grin:

It would cheaper to just get a better lift, some top place, conduits (or clevis lift without), and rear insulators and be done with it. Pound the pinches, trim some plastic, 4:10s and BAM. 31s.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would cheaper to just get a better lift, some top place, conduits (or clevis lift without), and rear insulators and be done with it. Pound the pinches, trim some plastic, 4:10s and BAM. 31s.

That sounds like thousands of $$$$.

I figure I can do a cradle lift for <$100.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey man, good luck! 4:10's would be needed for what you need anyway. The lift itself costs under 1000 until you get new upper control arms (which you will also need for a cradle drop)

If you can get a cradle lift done for <$100, I'm a monkey's uncle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

You're doing a bandaid fix to a huge gash in your head .
You can not just do a cradle drop and everything else be ok
For one the UCAs are going to hit more often, you're steering etc is going to be off, the front driveshaft will now be at a different angle and could , or will pretty much give more vibes
So not sure how you think its not going to change the angles on the UCAs and such
Lots of tried just piecing it that way and soon after after trying to prove everyone else wrong, put it back stock
Why do you think JBA includes all of the extra parts for the 6 inch?????
read over on LOST

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Something else to think about
IF just imagine if a cradle drop worked super well and you could do it for 100 bucks or less , wouldn't everyone and their Mother, Brother, Aunt, cousin twice removed have done that instead of doing a full spring lift ? Or if they already had done a full spring, would of done a cradle drop to get to 5 inches of lift real easy ?
think about it for a bit :icon_lol:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have UCAs already... going to flip the balljoints around. Add conduit nuts. Fab some spacers, washers, longer bolts, etc.

I'll figure it out. :gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:happy175::shrug:
Is this Facebook, could of sworn I was on JeepKJ , dang have to wake up more