Squeeking engine noise when idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jezclee

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone has experienced the following problem. I have a 2004 Jeep KJ 2.8 CRD UK spec' and for a while when the engine is at idle but the transmission is in drive there is a load squeal noise - a little bit like a belt, but a bit more rattling than that - maybe more like a bearing?. Whenever I rev the engine the noise stops, and there is a clicking noise every so often and again the noise stops for a short while. I looked in the engine bay, and found that it does it to a much lesser extent when in neutral, and the clicking noise is the air conditioning clutch disengaging. When it re-engages the noise comes back. I therefore assume the problem with either with the compressor or the clutch mechanism. However, why does it only do it when the engine is idling and stops as soon as it is revved, or in park? - am I barking up the wrong tree?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts; 1) When the vehicle is in Drive or the AC compressor kicks in the engine is under load which can cause noises to appear when otherwise wouldn't when shifted to Neutral or the AC clutch disengages, 2) Revving the engine causes the load to even out (if you will) at higher RPM's, 3) Could be a failing (or failed) tensioner (or another component like the water pump).

Last edited:

robynb45

Reaction score
Couple of thoughts; 1) When the vehicle is in Drive or the AC compressor kicks in the engine is under load which can cause noises to appear when otherwise wouldn't when shifted to Neutral or the AC clutch disengages, 2) Revving the engine causes the load to even out (if you will) at higher RPM's, 3) Could be a failing (or failed) tensioner (or another component like the water pump).

my o2 did this and it was the clutch on ac compressor it went from squeakin to out in one 30 mile trip and i had to but the whole ac compressor because you cant buy clutch

Jezclee

Reaction score
Thanks both for the advice. My brother in law is a mechanic and he reckoned it was the tensioner, but I couldn't understand why it only did it when idle or a/c engaged. This now makes sense thanks to Paul M. The other thing I have noticed is that the compressor clutches kicks in and out even when the air con is turned off. Is this normal? Anyway, it is booked for new belt / tensioner kit so hopefully this will solve the problem. If not, guess I'm looking at an expensive a/c repair. Can't complain, had the car 5 years and has cost me very little to maintain - standard servicing, tyres and a new battery is about it, although I did upgrade the rear suspension becasue I tow a caravan.

It's done 60K miles and is 8 years old - should I get the timimng belt done at the same time?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your mechanic says it's in great condition I agree to a new sepentine belt as cheap insurance (especially considering its age and maybe never been changed), but I'd keep the old one for an emergency. The infinite wisdom of Jeep left off the belt routing diagram sticker under the hood (at least on our year) but you can check the How-To section for one...print it out and stick it in the glove box.

Timing belt change? The CRD has a belt that is spec'd to be changed at 60K mile intervals...might be a good idea if a recent service didn't already replace it. But I'd do a search here to see what others experience has been.

Last edited:

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys-

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just discovered that my 2006 KJ with 51K is making the same squeaky noise only when the air conditioning is running and I found this thread using the search. A/C is running fine and is plenty cool even with the Hotlanta heat this weekend, which led me to believe it isn't the A/C compressor.

Would someone be able to confirm that changing the serpentine belt and tensioner is the solution to this squeaky noise? How hard is it to change the tensioner?

Thanks!

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To check the tensioner bearing get a long piece of wood and put one end on the bolt in the middle of the tensioner. Listen to the other end and you can definetly tell a bad one. Or you can use a mechanics stethescope but my way is cheaper. A wobbly tensioner pulley can affect everything your belt is attached to and cause other things to go bad. Also inspect your serpentine belt for cracks, breaks, uneven wear, and discolorations.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Trent. I checked the tensioner and it is definitely bad, when the A/C is running the tensioner pulley is doing some sort of "flutter" motion which is the source of the "squeak" noise. So I think the tensioner/idler pulley assembly needs to be replaced.

Per the thread in the how-to, it looks like the assembly is a dealer-part and I just need to swap the pulleys from one assembly to the other. Is that right?

Also I assume I'll need a belt, should I go with the dealer part or can someone recommend a good serpentine belt from a parts store, i.e. Napa?

Thanks very much!

Members online