Spicer U-joints???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct part number for spicer u-joints? It seems to be some kind of secret or something.

I'd like non-greasable type. I have some of those napa greasable ones now and not only are they a pain in the A, but they are vibrating bad after only a year. Anyway, if anyone knows that would be great.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I did some crafty cross referencing and found that:

5-785x

should be the correct u-joint. Hopefully someone can confirm.

Also known as SPI-5-1310X
which is the new part number I think.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are the NAPA greaseable ones a PITA?
Mines been in for about 100,000 just grease them everytime and still good, rear one is getting a little play but...

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I musta got some bad ones or something. They're just a pita for me, I have to grease them. I might as well get non-greasable ones and be done with them.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a vibration and its in my seat. It starts around 45 mph and pretty much cuts off over 50. I also have a resonance type annoyance around 55 mph. It is present when I maintain speed and accelerate. It also appears when decelerating at lower speeds and is more of a rumble since the rpms are lower in the driveshaft. Its pretty annoying and makes me want to drive it off a cliff.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your driveshaft is balanced?

nope. Although I've had it since practically new and I don't see any signs of a weight falling off. I have spicer u-joints coming. If those don't do anything I may have the driveshaft looked at. Maybe I bent it. Who knows.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a vibration in my front driveshaft at about the same speed, as I put in a ujoint front driveshaft. Its worse in 4wd but its just a small vibration and doesnt bother me. Although the shaft itself is balanced, i surely didnt mark it or put it back in the same way the old one came out. You have said that you are pretty particular about those kind of things though. I'm sure the new ujoints will probably eliminate your problem though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a vibration in my front driveshaft at about the same speed, as I put in a ujoint front driveshaft. Its worse in 4wd but its just a small vibration and doesnt bother me. Although the shaft itself is balanced, i surely didnt mark it or put it back in the same way the old one came out. You have said that you are pretty particular about those kind of things though. I'm sure the new ujoints will probably eliminate your problem though.
Thats the problem with swapping in a ujoint type front driveshaft, you'll always have a vibration.Annoying as all get out

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldnt have spent the money if I knew then what I knew now. But it doesnt bother me. Also front is shorter with more angle so rocky mountain shouldnt experience vibrations like I do.

On a lighter note, we sometimes would put zipties on coworkers driveshafts so that the end would tap once a rotation... Drove those guys crazy.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I have a vibration and its in my seat. It starts around 45 mph and pretty much cuts off over 50. I also have a resonance type annoyance around 55 mph. It is present when I maintain speed and accelerate. It also appears when decelerating at lower speeds and is more of a rumble since the rpms are lower in the driveshaft. Its pretty annoying and makes me want to drive it off a cliff.

I have exactly the same problem ... immediately after my lift and now slightly more annoying with extra iso's. I feel your pain :disgust:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You got lucky then
first one that I have heard that doesn't
of course your's is special :smokin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not lucky or special, just a very professionally modified and balanced driveshaft.
Same shop builds driveshafts for drag race applications, they don't vibrate
either!
I know of some that have also been " professionally" built and still have issues
Its the plane on which they run all of the time that sets up the vibes

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Well I can tell you that when the ass end is loaded down ... the vibes disappear ... and as I unloaded my weight ... it returns. Obviously the angles have something to do with it, is my best starting place the u-joints?

I've got 2 extra iso's on the drivers side and 1 on the pass and I'm not taking them out because I want that stance! Gotta figure something out.

Did you install your new Spicers yet RM ?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I installed the u-joints. It basically just changed the vibrations. I do think the vibes are gone from the rear and driveshaft. now I can tell that I have vibrations coming from the front too. The steering wheel vibrates and I can feel it on my feet too. I'm thinking the front driveshaft now as well. I'll be taking it out to test I guess. I think everything in the front of my KJ needs replaced. Bushings, rack, tie rods, balljoints, driveshaft CV, anything replaceable up front needs replaced.

I've replaced the half shaft and cv joint on the passenger side. the driver side cv seems just fine. I think the major problem up front is the rack and tie rods.

Tom, it would make for an interesting and fun meet and greet don't ya think? I need an expert as I'm running out of mojo for this thing.