Spicer U-joints???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had the tires balanced lately?
From the sounds of it I'd start there esp. with what you've done so far

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, just for the record. The NAPA greasable ones I removed had water in the rear joint. I assume water penetrated the seal because the grease was whitish in color. I've been using the red lucas grease and it was a light pink color sort of like strawberry yogurt. Also 1 end of the cross was discolored, sort of a tan color like it had been getting hot or something. I swear, I greased the crap out of them when I had them installed, I just couldn't seem to grease them enough. The front joint seemed just fine though. I think the joint had a bad seal and was most likely the cause for any vibes coming from there. I should take some pics, but I'm trying not to waste any more time on it.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed front driveshaft just now. Found the rear cv was going out. The boot is torn. So, I'm gonna drive it around tomorrow without the driveshaft and see how it goes. AND my front diff has a leaky pinion seal.

..oh AND I got a nice burn on my hand from the Catalytic converter. That thing takes FOREVER to cool off.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanics tattoo still have one from when I was 10 from a minibike

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
My pinion seal and CV went on me last winter :disgust: Hope that solves some of your front end noise!

I wish I could remove my rear drive shaft and still drive around right about now!

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pinion seal and CV went on me last winter :disgust: Hope that solves some of your front end noise!

I wish I could remove my rear drive shaft and still drive around right about now!

If its a must to pull the rear drive shaft and you don't have a SYE I have seen some cut the end of a pop bottle off and stick it on the end of the t-case to hold some of the fluid in..got them home from a wheeling trip..

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything narrowed down. It's wider than ever. It could be anything in the front even the tires. I don't think it is tires though because its a high frequency vibration. I'm gonna get them balanced though anyway of course.

It looks easy to get to the pinion with the driveshaft off.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, just order one of these, replace the old one, throw your driveshaft back in, and say goodbye to the vibes.

No, see the driveshaft is on my workbench right now and I drove to work this morning. The vibes are still there.

I have one ordered because the boot is torn. I wish it was the CV tho.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, I agree with Mudd. Get your tires checked out.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the tires. The guy said they were all about a half ounce out. Didn't fix anything.

I almost hear it now too. The noise is low pitch and you can feel it. I'd say it is about around the pitch the human ear can hear. 20 Hz?

Sometimes I wish something would just break instead of just driving you mad. Anyway it is most noticeable around 50, it is felt in the seat and the steering wheel. I just ran 75 MPH on the highway and I can hear a low tone and couldn't feel it. I can only feel it driving in town. Anyone had anything similar with a resolution?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Man that ***** ... mine is so bad that I can see it in the rear view (shaking) at that same speed. Above or below and it is gone. I'm not sure if I should bother replacing the u joints myself now or just take it in.. Will keep ya posted and thanks for your updates!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that ***** ... mine is so bad that I can see it in the rear view (shaking) at that same speed. Above or below and it is gone. I'm not sure if I should bother replacing the u joints myself now or just take it in.. Will keep ya posted and thanks for your updates!

Yeah, yours sounds like u-joints. Mine is different. Do it yourself its easy. There's someone on ebay selling spicers for $18 too.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Unfortunately that dude doesn't ship to Canada ... You still Rock though ... Thanks again!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have eliminated tire balance, front drive shaft and rear driveshaft u joints. For the sake of not pulling out a random CV shaft for something to do; what rpms you running when the vib happens.

I've got one that i attribute to the torque converter and stock gearing(AT 3.73) running 245 75 16 when my engine lugs at ~<1500 rpms at the bottom of 3 and 4th gear around town. When i run into the bottom of 4th it lugs and goes away when in 3rd with 4th locked out(~80 - 90KM /hr, or around 2K rpm when it wants to be in 4th).

The small vib in my mirror on the highway at speed seems like the duratracs. Gets bad or vanishes depending on the road surface. only noticeable in mirror when trying to stare at defrost lines on the rear window through it and only at speeds above 80 km/h if your trying to notice it.

This post is more about my jeep then your issue but not sure if any of these have any semblance with your vib. Didn't have any of these issues when i was running 235 70 16 / 235 65 17 proceeding my lift.

well maybe the 4th gear lugging was always there, its just pronounced now.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running around town with OD off so really doesn't apply to me. It is most noticeable around 50-55 anyways. Even in 4th it wouldn't be lugging too bad. It feels about like a shaft is loose and shifting around. Maybe my driver side cv is going out. I'm going to go look at a few things real quick.

Latest posts

Members online