Speedo works but Odometer doesn't

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

penst8grad

Reaction score
Hi, 1st post.

I'm looking for a CRD Liberty for my daughter. I found one that has me interested enough to look at it. Seems well kept and the owner recently changed timing belt and tensioner (per ad). Owner and I discussed things and besides his price being a little high he mentioned the odometer doesn't work. That causes me concern because it could have many more miles on it than advertised. But, he did say the speedo works.

It this a normal issue and how does one fix it?

We are a diesel family, I have WK2 Eco and my bride has a Passat TDI. General fixing cars isn't an issue if I can get some background on what I'l looking at.

Michael Wolfe

Reaction score
Every time that happened to me, it was because the sensor leads in the top of the rear differential corroded away. You can get a new connector at autozone.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is possible to read the mileage with a capable scan tool. I was surprised a few weeks ago to note that my odo and scanner readout are off by about 8K. Dash says 181k, tcm says 188K. I don't know which is right. I'm the 3rd or 4th owner of this kj.

penst8grad

Reaction score
It is possible to read the mileage with a capable scan tool. I was surprised a few weeks ago to note that my odo and scanner readout are off by about 8K. Dash says 181k, tcm says 188K. I don't know which is right. I'm the 3rd or 4th owner of this kj.
Does AlfaOBD work on these? I have it for my WK2.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does AlfaOBD work on these? I have it for my WK2.
Not sure if that'll do it. I use a launch x431 to read bidirectional. Noticed the discrepancy when i ran a 'health report' (scans all systems) after looking at data when i replaced a flakey injectoron #5.

Latest posts

Members online