Speaker advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
I posted a thread a while back about my wife's passenger side door speaker making a bad vibration. The dealer checked it out and found the speaker to be defective. They were about to replace it, until they realized the warranty had just expired.

My door-sticker from the purchase says Speakers - Six, premium infinity.

Last night I picked up a set of Pioneer TS-A1671 6.5" 3-ways.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4075_189562745,00.html

Are these a good replacement? I still have the stock head unit.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
What in the world...

Ok, I pulled the door panel and the speaker to see what I had to work with. What is this whole setup!?:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

What do I need to keep, how should I proceed? (Aeh)

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing attached to the speaker is the Amp, if you have the premium system (which i did). I think you will have to attach the amp to your new speaker.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
I just talked to a local car audio place and they said if it's the Infinity premium system you're pretty much limited to either switching everything out (Headunit included) or buying the OEM replacements. notcool.gif

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sux man, keeps us updated and let us know what you decide to do.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two separate wires running from the amp to the speaker, which you can attach the new speaker leads to, and mount the amp in the door.

I put mine just forward of the speaker in the cavity of the door, secured with some industrial-sticky velcro. O:)

HwnJeep

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought about that and mentioned it to him. He said the only problem then is the possibility of impedance mismatch, etc.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
HwnJeep said:
Yeah, I thought about that and mentioned it to him. He said the only problem then is the possibility of impedance mismatch, etc.

I don't think that is going to be so much an issue. Do you ever really plan on switching out everything or do you like the stock sytem. Assuming you just want to keep the stock system. I think I would just get an aftermarket speaker and attach it to that amp. Otherwise how much is a new OEM speaker?

Bennett

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about impedance just pull that plastic cover off the back of the original speaker and it will most likely be printed there. Just about all car speakers have an impedance of 4 ohms, could be 8 ohms, but very unlikely. I would change both front speakers as a pair as sound output will most likely be different when driven by the same signal.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the impedance should be the same, i haven't had any problems with mine.

gotta love that velcro though.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my original premium speakers if you want them. I completely replaced my stock system so i just have them laying around.

mhx

Reaction score
billforde said:
I have my original premium speakers if you want them. I completely replaced my stock system so i just have them laying around.

is the head unit the same w/ the infiity speakers or do they give you a differ head unit...

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is. I have a "RBQ AM/FM Six-Disc CD with CD Changer Controls", which is currently sitting in my closet. Actually i think the wiring is different if you have a premium system, according to the service manual.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
billforde said:
I think it is. I have a "RBQ AM/FM Six-Disc CD with CD Changer Controls", which is currently sitting in my closet. Actually i think the wiring is different if you have a premium system, according to the service manual.

most of the wiring differences have to deal with that stupid amplifier, as it also acts as a crossover, but i THINK you can use whatever headunit for whatever system. (not sure, but i'm fairly certian all the HU's output the same things.)

I've spent WAY to much time digging in the wiring diagrams. My wife is wondering if i'm ok.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
Bennett said:
I don't think that is going to be so much an issue. Do you ever really plan on switching out everything or do you like the stock sytem. Assuming you just want to keep the stock system. I think I would just get an aftermarket speaker and attach it to that amp. Otherwise how much is a new OEM speaker?

Bennett

The stock system is ok I think. As soon as PIE comes out with their new jeep iPod interface I'll be putting that in. The new OEM speakers were quoted at $150-something. They were going to charge $250 or so for the speaker and install. [-(

HwnJeep

Reaction score
Mangate said:
If you are worried about impedance just pull that plastic cover off the back of the original speaker and it will most likely be printed there. Just about all car speakers have an impedance of 4 ohms, could be 8 ohms, but very unlikely. I would change both front speakers as a pair as sound output will most likely be different when driven by the same signal.

That's actually a dynomat type material. It's stuck on there GOOD. Probably take a hair dryer or something to work it off. I bought a pair of speakers and was planning on switching both.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
billforde said:

That would be great! Are they the same part number as pictured? Mine is a 2002 Libby.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HwnJeep said:
Cableguy said:
gotta love that velcro though.

Velcro? Where did you find/use that? :-s

Wal-mart/any decent fabric store. The kind with the sticky-tape material on the non-velcro sides.

Used it to velcro the stock amp into the door cavity when i changed my speakers to the pioneers i have now.