spark plugs (not what you think)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

starlightknight

Reaction score
So.. New to the doin-it-meself thing, and to posting here

Subject of discussion: the plug directly beneath the coolant resevoir... Proof that Chrysler hates us all?

Got em all, but that one took me as long as the other five. Any belated advice since I'm getting things in the wrong order?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Either swivel or just pop the reservoir off ( two 10 mm nuts) and move over a bit. You already have the 10 mm out anyways takes literally another minute
Not a big deal

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a swivel plug socket and I have used that. I have also just removed the coolant reservoir and done it that way. I prefer just removing the reservoir a little. That last plug (#6) is a pain but not hard to do. I have to stand on something to reach it better ever since the lift.....LOL

Dave

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well one thing that has not been mentionned yet, and it's what I do is remove the reservoir, or you can use a swivel socket:mexsmoke:

Bert

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, welcome to the forum.

You are new to this stuff my friend. I had some kind of Pontiac in the 80s where you had to pull off the exhaust manifold to get to a plug. I am sure the original plug is still in there as it sits in a junk yard somewhere. :happy3:

Now if you really want to have some spark plug fun, ask what kind of spark plugs to use. :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I used two 4" socket extensions. I worked the first one in with the spark plug socket on it, then caught it with the second. It might have taken me a couple minutes longer than the other ones, but not enough to be a nuisance.

starlightknight

Reaction score
Which plugs? NGK coppers.. I spend hours reading this forum and just haven't posted

As far as tools, 8 inch extension, 1/2 to 1/4 adapter, 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and then the socket (lost two in that engine)

Guess I like the pain

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as tools, 8 inch extension, 1/2 to 1/4 adapter, 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and then the socket (lost two in that engine)

Here's an awesome tool to add to the arsenal. It's a ratchet with an angled body and a pivoting head (sounds like a bad joke). The bend in the handle with the pivoting head allows the handle end to swing closer to the engine block, changing the angle at which force is applied to the body of the spark plug. Maybe some old-timers would hate this tool, but any serious wrencher should always have one of these ready. Nothing ***** worse than replacing that hard-as-hell-to-reach spark plug with a regular ratchet......and you button up the engine compartment....fire up the engine and find out you have a misfire because you cracked the porcelain on that hard as hell to reach spark plug.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I bought a similar model from the Matco tool truck a few years back and paid a little over a hundred bucks for it. But I've seen similar generic tools at Autozone, Pep Boys, etc for right around 25 bucks. I know I could wear out the $25 ratchet within 6 months, but for the casual DIY person it could last a long time.

I don't always buy cheap tools, but when I do, it's because I only need it to work once. ..... Can anybody relate to that?

You must be registered for see images attach

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap tools...

My salvage yard tools are all inexpensive ones that I can lose without stressing out. Have left a tool behind in yards more times than I care to remember. I pick up a lot of name brand tools at garage sales for give away prices and augment these with cheap imports to have a complete set. Taiwan sockets seem to hold up to light/medium duty use but I avoid mainland China tools as I have had too many break. For heavy duty applications I use name brand tools only. I also travel with a tool kit in each of my cars for emergency repairs on the road. Never have too many I suppose.....

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the spark plugs on a Ford Ranger with the 4.0L V6, It would almost be easier to remove the engine first and then replace the plugs.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As listed on the under hood sticker:
52649[/ATTACH]"]

I prefer just to move the tank slightly out of the way, as mentioned.
No need for a swivel then.
52651[/ATTACH]"]

I tape my spark plug socket to extension. I use 3/8 only. No adapters please.
I'm like Dave need that step stool for the rear one, lifted too.

Attachments

• Jeep%20KJ%20NGK%20Spark%20Plugs.jpg
    Jeep%20KJ%20NGK%20Spark%20Plugs.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Wrenching2.jpg
    Jeep%20Wrenching2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like using swivels joints....I avoid them if I can....here is an extension with a beveled tip which allows for limited pivot motion. Comes in handy sometimes.. Every now-and-then I will use a palm ratchet as pictured below.....and a man can never have enough extension in his collection.

mcdeaglesandwich

Reaction score
I believe the first time i did the plugs i left the inside most screw off, allowing it to be rotated easily upward. Did my plugs this weekend and that one only took an extra minute or two.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i move the tank over. i dont like the idea of not being dead straight above the plug
when i put pressure on it to remove it. it would suck ass if you broke it off. i never use swivels on plugs.