Spare tire cover. On or Off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my spare tire cover off since I bought my KJ back in August. Winter is near however and I was wondering if I should put it back on to protect the spare tire rim...or will having the cover on make it worse(not being able to breath, dry out, etc)?

Thoughts?

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, the cover is more for protecting the rubber than rim. Those UV rays cause the dry rot on tires.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the look of spares not covered....especially if they are the same as the 4 tires on the rig, it just looks better in my humble opinion. Besides, the spare will age the same as the other tires if left uncovered. :eek:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the look of spares not covered....especially if they are the same as the 4 tires on the rig, it just looks better in my humble opinion. Besides, the spare will age the same as the other tires if left uncovered. :eek:
I agree it does look better uncovered...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it looks better off. However when I peel my stock tire/cover off after years, it's still new.If I was running larger rim and tire for the spare I would not want the extra weight off the tail gate, I would move it up to the rack.
If I was in Ottawa, I would have it on for the winter. It will help to protect the tire/rim from salt and snow. I noticed that since much of the blowing snow comes off the roof and ends up around the tire/rear bumper, that most of it does not stick to cover= less snow and easier to clean off with snow brush. In the spring I do remove the cover and the spare to clean around tailgate painted surface, and apply wax. While it is off, I check tire pressure, clean spare rim both sides, and all of the mount. I also installed a coiled steel bicycle lock cable to secure it to the mount. Very neat and tidy. Out of sight is out of mind for potential thieves. I only got 4 wheel locks not 5 in my set.
The cover I then re-install for spring/summer to protect from UV. I will use a Wall-Mart leather /vinyl spray, found in shoe or purse section. (forget the name of it) and coat it liberally, after the cover was cleaned with soap and water and allowed a few days to dry.
It would be easier not to deal with the cover process I go through annually, but I know that the spare is better protected on, and it's not faded.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say off as long as you have the same spare setup as the rest. Just looks more "Jeep" that way in my opinion.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried putting it back on but for the life of me I can't seem to zip it up...I guess it's too cold out. My spare rim is the same 17" chrome-clad rim as the 4 wheels. Looks great off I will admit.

Latest posts

Members online