Spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Like the Cragar Soft 8's. Everyone and their mom runs them on their Jeeps.

And if everybody else drove off a cliff, would you too?
Some things that mom used to say are never forgotten :happy175:
Those Cragar wheels should then be renamed "Lemmings".

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way id run spacers is to run Jeep JK rims. Other than that then there really is no point unless like in your case you want to run your stock rims.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what passes in Illinois for "manly-looking vehicle" but there is no amount of customization, paint, neon, or chrome that is EVER going to make a flareless KJ wheel arch look even remotely close to "good"...better to get a welder, a torch, and an old, clapped-out Toyota or Blazer and build a Truggy than trash a KJ whose toughness comes from an INTACT unibody...just my two centavos and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it...

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the case on 4wd or rwd vehicles, but on fwd if you put a wheel spacer on, even a "modest" 1", it puts A LOT of strain and stress on the wheel bearings and hub assemblies.. eventually they fail, i.e. the wheel falls off.

Plus it really screws with the camber and accelerates tire wear.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's the case on 4wd or rwd vehicles, but on fwd if you put a wheel spacer on, even a "modest" 1", it puts A LOT of strain and stress on the wheel bearings and hub assemblies.. eventually they fail, i.e. the wheel falls off.
Plus it really screws with the camber and accelerates tire wear.

If you read one of my previous posts, I give the math. A 1.5" adapter spacer makes it where the factory wheels would then have an adjusted backspacing of just under 4", which (almost) "everyone and their mom" like to run, or recommend. If adapters are bad on the bearing hubs, then so are 4" backspaced wheels.

Last edited:

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read one of my previous posts, I give the math. A 1.5" adapter spacer makes it where the factory wheels would then have an adjusted backspacing of just under 4", which (almost) "everyone and their mom" like to run, or recommend. If adapters are bad on the bearing hubs, then so are 4" backspaced wheels.

Maybe if you had spacers on top of spacers then maybe yes. But I dont think 1.5 inch spacers would hurt anything. Now what about 6mm spacers (0.25 inch)?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe if you had spacers on top of spacers then maybe yes. But I dont think 1.5 inch spacers would hurt anything. Now what about 6mm spacers (0.25 inch)?

Can't run .25 inches with spacers since you're not having any lug left

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed 1-1/4" spacers, and so far so good! The hardest part was trying to find a single spacer for my spare tire!

Bert

:shrug:
:happy175:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I dunno man.. I realize what the numbers mean, and perhaps there is a "safe range" for some vehicles. But have you ever seen those stupid chevy cavaliers and olds Aleros with their tires stuck out 3-4" past the fender? Yeah those cars' wheel bearings do not last like that. I sold aftermarket auto parts for nearly 10 years.. sold LOTS of wheel hub assemblies to those guys.

I mean, this is also simple Archimedian physics with regard to the lever. We have the weight of a motor vehicle pressing down on one end, if the fulcrum point is placed further away, more force will be applied across that distance.

It is entirely possible that some wheel hub/bearing assemblies may be more resilient and resistant to these additional forces, but there are indeed additional forces being applied between the vehicle and the wheel.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is entirely possible that some wheel hub/bearing assemblies may be more resilient and resistant to these additional forces, but there are indeed additional forces being applied between the vehicle and the wheel.

I know what you're saying but like I said, using spacers on factory wheels is no different than having aftermarket wheels with 4" of back spacing, which is a popular setup. Perhaps those who have been running those types of wheels for a while can chime in as to whether or not they contributed to premature bearing wear. But having said that, wheels with less backspacing/more offset have/had been used for decades, even from the car manufacturers, without causing issues.