Sound coming from oil pan area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says I have a sound coming from my oil pan area. at first i thought it was just a heat shield or something rattling around. It only really happens at startup and sounds like something kicking around in there, I used a stethoscope all around to pinpoint the oil pan. I just did an oil change a few days ago but did not help, I may change the oil again and look for debris unless I can get some ideas or anything. I'm just hoping my motor isn't about to blow.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it continue or go away once the engine warms up a bit? Mine ticks a little on start up...bugs me but doesn't sound like upper engine. Almost like the oil pump pickup is struggling. No real problems or codes, just a ticking with engine speed (which would lead one to valve train yet not coming from there.)

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't tick and it stops about a minute or so after I start it up cold for the first time of the day. I was kinda wondering if it could be the oil pump or something.