Something wrong with my liftkit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toples

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I just installed a 2,5 rusty's liftkit (Front strut plate, rear 2,4 spacer + 2 OME shock)

The installation when well and when i take my KJ i hear a metal knock espacially when i turn left and hit a a hole/bump.

First I think it was my sway bar hitting my A arm (it has definitely a impact scratch on it) but i look at another KJ and his set sup seem like mine.

What can it be ?

My tire are 235 70 16, have stock bumpstop.
¸
If i buy longer sway bar link did i will be able too move le swaybar higher to allow me to install the new SBL?

here some pic of me set up:

You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't see any pictures only red X's

Did you just do a spacer lift or full spring? If spacer it could be that you need longer bumpstops in the front, well not could you do need longer. Also are you sure you got everything tightened to the specs?

Almost sounds like maybe you didn't get the nut on top of the strut tight enough or something.

Pictures of lift and type will help

toples

Reaction score
after verification this morning, the upper controle arm do not seem problematic.... no sign of contatc on it or on the spring.

I'm sure a 70% that the problem came from me sway bar hitting my A-arm... doesnt anyone here have install longer sway bar link. Maybe my sway bar move to much .... if want can i do to stop this mouvement.

the stut plate spacer has been well install. I got the right tool and tigh it to the specs.
Help me, its a pain in the ass to have a kj park in my driveway and cannot use it
thx for those who try to solve me problem

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the sway bar only controls body roll, you can take the sway links and bar off the jeep to see if the knocking goes away. I don't know if there is a different swaybar configuration you could use. Just make sure you are very careful cornering while you have the swaybar out of the jeep.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I really can't see how the sway bar is hitting the control arm?
Need pictures front, side, rear, all of the front end

toples

Reaction score

there is a contact sign juste under de swaybar... I dont yet have the time to chek the upperbal joint but seem like it may also be that.

I'm suppose to borrow the garage of my find this week end i will keep you up to date with this trouble
thx everybody
TPL

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Sounds to me like something has not been fastened properly!

Sway bars don't just "Bend" and make contact with control arms.
Besides, if the sway bar was so severely bent that it made
contact with the control arm, the KJ's handling characteristics would
be severely "upset" and would drive like crap!

I've been beating on our Frankenlifted KJ for the 4.5 weeks now and the only occasional noise I get is from the twisting of the bottom of the coil spring against the polyurethane spacer!

Sounds to me like the top four (4) bolts that hold the front shock/spring assembly in place are not torqued down properly or the front shock
dampener/absorber is not tightened down properly...
Or a combination of both the top four strut assembly bolts and shock dampener/absorber are not tightened down properly.

Just my two cents worth.

toples

Reaction score
update***

my problem is now fixed.

The cam mount was to tigh. I slack about a 1/4 and now everything is alright.

thx to everybody who guess something.
My Kj is know ready for Québec winter's
thx
Tpl

Last edited:

lys327

Reaction score
toples i also installed the same lift on my jeep and have gone through everything. the only conclusion that i am at is scratching my head. there is no evidence of metal on metal any where. i can assure you that even with the sound i continually drive mine and the sound is now sparatic as to certain bumps. the only thing i can think of it being is where the strut {lower} fork is connected to the lower control arm. there is a bushing there. see if your bushing is being compressed to the bottom. i am going to try and replace mine and see if that helps. but i also know that installing the lift that the bolt was a real bi##h to get in even with the cam bolts loose. if you have fixed yours let me know and i will check mine there.

toples

Reaction score
my problem was the balance screw on the cam mount. I loss it and the sound disapear