Someone stole my engine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olin

Reaction score
So i have a neighbor in the apartment below me. He has done most of the work on my vehicles for 6 yrs now.

So gave him my liberty (2012 limited jet) to see if it had a blown head. Leak down and pressure test. He also has a liberty (2010) also with trans and coolant problems. Long story short i think he swapped the top half of the motors at least. Is there any way to prove this?

Reaction score
So i have a neighbor in the apartment below me. He has done most of the work on my vehicles for 6 yrs now.

So gave him my liberty (2012 limited jet) to see if it had a blown head. Leak down and pressure test. He also has a liberty (2010) also with trans and coolant problems. Long story short i think he swapped the top half of the motors at least. Is there any way to prove this?

How do you know he swapped them? or whats giving you the suspicious feeling?

Olin

Reaction score
Because it looks completely different to me. I did the plugs and wires a couple weeks ago and just use the cheap included plastic clips to tie the wires together. Now its ran in channels the weren't there before. I really no nothing about cars. So i had no idea how to change a intake gasket (which was his diagnosis for my misfire and over heating problems after he supposedly did the two tests) or even knew were the intake was until 10 minutes ago... My friend showed me where it was. When i bought it there was brand new intake gasket on it. I specifically remember because it was an obnoxious blue. And now it has an old crusty white one. So he never changed it. Apparently the engine serial stamp should match the end of my vin? It doesn't.

Reaction score
Because it looks completely different to me. I did the plugs and wires a couple weeks ago and just use the cheap included plastic clips to tie the wires together. Now its ran in channels the weren't there before. I really no nothing about cars. So i had no idea how to change a intake gasket (which was his diagnosis for my misfire and over heating problems after he supposedly did the two tests) or even knew were the intake was until 10 minutes ago... My friend showed me where it was. When i bought it there was brand new intake gasket on it. I specifically remember because it was an obnoxious blue. And now it has an old crusty white one. So he never changed it. Apparently the engine serial stamp should match the end of my vin? It doesn't.
If your engines VIN dosent match your car, and you know it did before, then yes I’d say you have an issue. But what to do about it, I can’t help you there. Very sorry, I’ve never heard of/dealt with someone swapping my motor or motor parts

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
short of sneaking a look in his engine bay and looking at the stamp to see if it has the same VIN as your vehicle...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You've trusted this person for 6 years doing work for you
You state you do not know much about vehicles.
So you think from looking at it that it appears different
You're in a real pickle, call someone you have known 6 years or so a thief, or go find a real tech and see what they think
They can tell if someone has removed any parts, if some parts have been changed etc