Some Fluid Maintenance Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to start changing all the fluids this month in my spare time so i can get it all ready for the winter and i came across some questions.

First of all here is the fluids recommended by my service manual:

Front and Rear Axle 75W-140
Transfer Case ATF+4
Trans (5-Speed Auto) ATF+4

See any problems so far on the fluid choices??

Next question... I have an 03' and checking with parts stores they want to know which trans i have to get the right filter kit. Without tearing it apart first to compare can you tell me which trans i have, 45RFE or 42RLE, or rather how to check which trans i have?? The last thing i want to do is be underneath in the driveway and end up having the wrong filter kit.

Thanks all!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Do you tow a lot?

If not, you won't see any real benefit going to 75140 in the diffs rather than 75w90 ITBJHO. Just sayin'

rjcapp

Reaction score
From what I have read here from searches is to check the build date on the sticker - drivers side door. Pre 5/03 you most likely have 45RFE. Pretty sure I read here the 42RLE has 13 blots for the transmission pan vs more for the 45RFE. Please double check.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 bolts and it's got the stronger transmission (45RFE) out of the dodge ram.
15 bolts and it's got the more common (42RLE) out of....

Transmission Numbers Decoded:
4 = # of forward speeds
5 = 1 -10 scale on how much torque the trans can handle,1 being the lowest
R = RWD
FE = Full Electronically controlled (LE = Limited Electronic Control)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
13 bolts and it's got the stronger transmission (45rfe) out of the dodge ram.
15 bolts and it's got the more common (42rle) out of....a minivan

transmission numbers decoded:
4 = # of forward speeds
5 = 1 -10 scale on how much torque the trans can handle,1 being the lowest
r = rwd
fe = full electronically controlled (le = limited electronic control)
Had to do it!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys!

I will go count the bolts in the pan, looks to me like thats the foolproof method as they have different numbers. I have to get under there and change the oil this week anyway so i figured i would start planning ahead.

As for the question on towing, i tow my utility trailer quite often, sometimes loaded pretty heavy. I also sometimes pull around various things like car trailers, campers, whatever needs to be moved. So i figured it would be a good idea to plan for the future.

What is the biggest reason they put in a different lube for towing??

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Main Reason - heat control for the front differential.

Secondary Reason - heat control for the rear differential

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about the trans fluid change....

What's the best way to go about this? I am thinking flush with a filter replacement. Does a relearn need to be done? Is this something I should trust only the Dealer to do properly?

Given my past experience with the A604, I'm a little leery of Chrysler transmissions and want to ensure this thing is serviced properly.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked my trans while under there changing the oil...

15 Bolts, so i assume its the 42RLE

However the manufacture date off the drivers door is 02-03, so its early then 05-03. I guess i just got one of the early models that still had the 42RLE?? I will double check and count again, also according to the service manual there is supposed to be an id tag on the trans but i can't find it.

I was going to work on changing the transfer case fluid but it started raining, i did get under there to look it over, find the plugs, etc.. Its the 231 according to the info tag on the case.

Ok on the diff fluid, i will go with the 74W140 just in case, i don't tow daily but i do tow, and sometimes when i do its a heavy load for a fairly long distance, so its better to be safe then sorry as the fluid difference doesn't cost much either.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other post above he said 42 was 15 and 45 was 13 bolts?

I'm going to use the link on the sticky on here to get a build sheet and kindly request one. Then i can put this question to bed with that also!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
If I didn"t have good shirt on I would crawl under and count them. maybe later.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
There is a sticker on the driver side of the 45RFE that says RFE with a bunch of other crap on it just above the pan, on the case of the trans itself.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a sticker on the driver side of the 45RFE that says RFE with a bunch of other crap on it just above the pan, on the case of the trans itself.

Ok, didn't see that, must be a 42 then. I will check the build sheet when i get it and report back.

But i have an early 03' model and according to everything online that should make it a 45, i guess i just have the exception to the rule.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well i guess i will have to play the guessing game on the trans....

I contacted Chrysler through their website to get the build sheet and they called me this morning asking for a credit card number to MAIL me a copy... Damnit

Latest posts

Members online