some cosmetic upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smoked clear marker lights for up front
You must be registered for see images attach

black altezza lights for the rear
You must be registered for see images attach

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look nice!

I often thought about stuff like that, but i don't feel like paying for the tickets that go along with them... Some states are different, but the cops around here live for stopping kids in their hopped up ricers with the blacked out headlights and tail lights and clear markers.

Believe it or not its still on the books here that they have to be DOT approved and the appropriate colors, amber markers, red tails, clear headlights. Its a $150 ticket and a repair order.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the clear signal ones and Black altezza at rear also !! Love em !! its so nice !! I also have the Clear 3rd brake light ... you should get it as its not expensive and youll discover that the stock OEM 3rd brake light burns the stock plastic ... so replacing it with the led 3rd brake light made me feel so much safer for fire lolll !!!

Midgear

Reaction score
They look nice!

I often thought about stuff like that, but i don't feel like paying for the tickets that go along with them... Some states are different, but the cops around here live for stopping kids in their hopped up ricers with the blacked out headlights and tail lights and clear markers.

Believe it or not its still on the books here that they have to be DOT approved and the appropriate colors, amber markers, red tails, clear headlights. Its a $150 ticket and a repair order.

As long as the bulb emits an amber colored light, you're good.

amber color for blinkers, red for brakes, and white for reverse. they sell colored bulbs for the purpose of having clear lenses.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the bulb emits an amber colored light, you're good.

amber color for blinkers, red for brakes, and white for reverse. they sell colored bulbs for the purpose of having clear lenses.

Nope...

Maybe in some states but here they will nail you for it. The lens needs to be amber at all times, not just while illuminated by an amber bulb. I will see if i can find the lighting regulation on the MN DMV website to quote.

I do remember it clearly states that the lens must be DOT approved and have its approval stamped or molded into the lens and it must also be the appropriate color REGARDLESS of the lens being illuminated.

This pushed a guy out of business here.. Well it contributed. He ran a detail shop that also did mods like that, installed stereos, etc.. Cops walked in one day and hung him out to dry for all the illegal lighting he was installing.

You also cannot have any colored body lighting here, no underbody lighting, no green, blue, or red... The list is LONG.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MN Statutes....

Here is why you can't have those smoke colored covers on lights. You can put a clear rock protector or other thing like that over them, like those headlight lens protectors they make in clear polycarbonate.

Cover for lamp or reflector.(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), it is prohibited for any person to:

(1) equip a motor vehicle with any equipment or material that covers a headlamp, taillamp, or reflector; or

(2) operate a motor vehicle fitted with or otherwise having equipment or material that covers a headlamp, taillamp, or reflector.

(b) Paragraph (a) does not apply to:

(1) any manufacturer's original equipment or material;

(2) any equipment or material that is clear and colorless; or

(3) the covering for auxiliary lights required under section 169.56.

Here is why i carry the paperwork from Hella for my lights just in case an officer gets pissy.. They all have to be approved and marked.

169.65 SPECIFICATIONS FOR LIGHTING AND OTHER DEVICES.
(a) The commissioner of public safety is hereby authorized and required to adopt and enforce standard specifications as to the amount, color and direction of light to be emitted or reflected by lighting devices and as to the general construction and mounting on the vehicle for compliance with the requirements and limitations of this chapter.

(b) No person shall have for sale, sell, or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or use upon any such vehicle, any headlamp, auxiliary driving lamp, rear lamp, signal lamp, spot lamp, clearance lamp, marker lamp or reflector, or parts of any of the foregoing, unless of a type which has been submitted to and approved by the commissioner of public safety.

(c) No person shall have for sale, sell, or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or bicycle, or use upon any such vehicle, any lamp or device mentioned in this section, which has been approved by the commissioner of public safety unless such lamp or device bears thereon the trademark or name and model designation all permanently marked under which it is approved so as to be legible when installed.

(d) No person shall use upon any vehicle, trailer or semitrailer or bicycle any lamps mentioned in this section unless such lamps are equipped with bulbs of a type approved by the commissioner of public safety, having a rated candle power, and are mounted and adjusted as to focus and aim in accordance with instructions of the commissioner of public safety.

(e) The commissioner of public safety is hereby authorized to approve or disapprove lighting devices.

(f) The commissioner of public safety is hereby required to approve or disapprove any lighting device, of a type on which approval is specifically required in this chapter, within a reasonable time after such device has been submitted.

(g) The commissioner of public safety is further authorized to set up a procedure which shall be followed when any device is submitted for approval.

(h) The commissioner of public safety is authorized to set and collect a reasonable fee for the testing and approval of all types of devices upon which approval is required in this chapter. Such fee may be sufficient in amount to reimburse the Department of Public Safety for all costs connected with such test and approval.

(i) The commissioner of public safety, upon approving any such lamp or device, shall issue to the applicant a certificate of approval, together with any instructions determined by the commissioner of public safety.

(j) The commissioner of public safety shall publish lists of all lamps and devices by name and type which have been approved by the commissioner of public safety, together with instructions as to the permissible candlepower rating of the bulbs which the commissioner of public safety has determined for use therein and such other instructions as to adjustment as the commissioner of public safety may deem necessary. No person shall sell for use or use on any vehicle any reconverted lamp or any device redesigned for a use other than for which it was originally approved unless authorized by the commissioner of public safety.

Turn and stop lights, note they also SPECIFICALLY mention the third brake light, so what you guys are doing to them we cant do here either because it would alter them from factory.

Subd. 2.Turn signal.(a) Any vehicle may be equipped, and when required under this chapter shall be equipped, with a lamp or lamps or mechanical signal device of such color as may be approved by the commissioner of public safety and capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and shall be visible and understandable during both daytime and nighttime from a distance of 100 feet both to the front and rear.

(b) On or after July 1, 1949, it shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sale any new motor vehicle, excepting motorcycles, motor scooters, and bicycles with motor attached, unless it is equipped with turn signals meeting the requirements of this chapter.

Subd. 3.Maintenance.(a) When a vehicle is equipped with stop lamps or signal lamps, such lamps shall at all times be maintained in good working condition.

(b) No stop lamps or signal lamp shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

(c) All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illumined when in use at the times when lighted lamps on vehicles are required.

Subd. 4.Alteration of stop lamp prohibited.

On a vehicle that must be equipped with a single center high-mounted stop lamp under federal motor vehicle safety standards, and on any other vehicle equipped with a similar stop lamp, a person may not alter the stop lamp by the addition of an overlay or other device, or install a replacement lens, if the alteration or installation alters or obscures any portion of the lamp or affects the intensity of light emitted.

Not that it matters to me, but i do know that they also got some people on another not so well known law here in MN. If your an ass to the cop and he knows his laws... Well you can't even have a bug deflector on your hood unless its CLEAR and within a certain size.

169.743 BUG DEFLECTOR.
Bug deflectors shall be permitted but not required on motor vehicles. No bug deflector shall be sold, offered for sale, or used which is composed of other than nonilluminated material. No person shall operate any motor vehicle equipped with a bug deflector of nontransparent material having more than one inch of material extending above the highest part of the hood, excluding any decorative ornament, and no person shall operate any motor vehicle equipped with a bug deflector of transparent material having more than three inches of material extending above the highest part of the hood, excluding any decorative ornament; provided that trucks and truck-tractors of 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or larger may be operated with a clear, uncolored bug deflector extending no more than six inches above the highest part of the hood, excluding any decorative ornament.

So yeah... MN is like **** on lighting and accessory laws. When i decided to add lights to my KJ i enlisted the help of a buddy who is a State Trooper, we got out the tape measure, documented everything, and printed out a copy of the state regulations and a sketch showing the measurements of the lights to refer to if someone tried to ticket me for them. Dot your I's and cross your T's.

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the clear signal ones and Black altezza at rear also !! Love em !! its so nice !! I also have the Clear 3rd brake light ... you should get it as its not expensive and youll discover that the stock OEM 3rd brake light burns the stock plastic ... so replacing it with the led 3rd brake light made me feel so much safer for fire lolll !!!

i got an led 3rd brake light thats smoked and clear like the marker lights up front but im a lil iffy about putting it in because i would have to cut off the factory plug if i do so and i really dont wanna do that

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did and, well i work in a store, so i have all the connectors and did a nice job ... Dont bother with the OEM plug on the 3rd light ... i swear it wont be the end of the world ... Well at least just have a look at your 3rd brake light to check if anything is burnt cause mine was and i really didnt like that ... never know :p

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did and, well i work in a store, so i have all the connectors and did a nice job ... Dont bother with the OEM plug on the 3rd light ... i swear it wont be the end of the world ... Well at least just have a look at your 3rd brake light to check if anything is burnt cause mine was and i really didnt like that ... never know :p
yea ur right. the light came with all the connectors i need. i just need a sunny day to put it in now.