"Sold Order Protection"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T^2

Reaction score
So, I've been reading - in various posts - questions about what incentives apply when you order a vehicle. Is it the incentives that apply when you order the vehicle, or the incentives that available at the time the vehicle is delivered?

The incentives of interest, in my case, are the 3.9% financing for 60 months with a $1000 rebate. I asked my dealer (sales manager) if these incentives hold true when my vehicle arrives. He told me that the 3.9% financing would still be in place but that if the $1000 rebate was no longer being offered, then I would lose it. However, he said I would be eligible for whatever rebate was available at the time of delivery. So if the rebates are better when the Liberty is delivered, then I'll get to take advantage of that, but I’ll lose if the incentives are less, or non-existent.

I had my doubts about my dealer’s response, especially after reading a few post on the forums. So, I called DC Customer Service about the issue. The Customer Service representative told me that my dealer was incorrect.

Here are the facts as the Customer Service rep laid them out:

These incentives have code numbers. The code number for the 3.9% for 60 month financing is 35A51. The code number for the $1000 rebate associated with financing at the 3.9% rate through DC is MAC55. Interesting tid-bits - the 35A51 is on my sales contract.

The Customer Service rep explained to me that both those incentives (code numbers) fall under what is called "Sold Order Protection". That means that if they were available at the time you ordered your vehicle, then you are still eligible to receive them when the vehicle is delivered. The rep also told me that if the incentives are better when the vehicle is delivered then when the vehicle was ordered - you can choose the better (new) incentives.

The rep also told me that not all incentives are "Sold Order Protected". She said you have to check on the individual incentive (code number) to verify if it is protected or not. She told me that the dealer should be able to tell you when asked. I replied that I wouldn't be so sure about that and told her what my dealer said to me. She was surprised. I asked what I should do if the dealer still sings the same song when my vehicle is delivered. She told me to call her or another representative back and they would take care of it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but for me this tends to bolster my opinion that dealers (sales people) often don't know what they are talking about, or do in some case - and are simply trying to take advantage of you.

In any case, I would recommend doing advanced research. Call the DC representatives with your questions about a vehicle purchase before going to the dealer. In essence - know the answers to most of the questions you'll have for the dealer before you get to the dealership. Go ahead and ask you dealer sales people the questions you have. Their responses may give you some insight as to the character of the dealership you are dealing with. Armed with the necessary information in advance will keep you from getting screwed by a sales department that is either ignorant of the facts or just trying to take you for a ride.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up. Thanks for the post. Goes to show, get everything in writing.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T^2 said:
These incentives have code numbers. The code number for the 3.9% for 60 month financing is 35A51. The code number for the $1000 rebate associated with financing at the 3.9% rate through DC is MAC55. Interesting tid-bits - the 35A51 is on my sales contract.

The MAC55 code might not be on your invoice but you can bet that it's certainly on the invoice that the dealer submits to DaimlerChrysler. You can only guess where that extra $1000 goes.

What I wonder is if they're at least letting the sales rep. get some of the $1000 or does the dealership (owner) pocket the whole thing?? Either way it's dishonest.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is if they dealership can con you out of any incentives by BS'ing, they will be glad to keep that extra money in their pocket as profit but i'm sure, the salesperson will get something out of it, otherwise why would the salesperson fib for the company without anything in return? O:)

T^2

Reaction score
4Factor said:
The MAC55 code might not be on your invoice but you can bet that it's certainly on the invoice that the dealer submits to DaimlerChrysler. You can only guess where that extra $1000 goes.

What I wonder is if they're at least letting the sales rep. get some of the $1000 or does the dealership (owner) pocket the whole thing?? Either way it's dishonest.

Well I can tell you where that $1000 is going to go in this case, and that's right into my pocket.

I called the Sales Manager at the dealer about this issue right after I got off the phone with the DC Customer Service rep. His response to the information given to me was that he didn't see it in his documentation where it said that the MAC55 incentive was Sold Order Protected, but that they have a million of this things to deal with and he could have missed it. He said that he would look into it, but if that is in fact what DC is saying then I will get the rebate.

If I have any trouble with the dealer on this issue, then I'll certainly be giving DC Customer Service a call back. However, I'm betting I won't...