snow tires in Quebec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a law in Quebec now about snow tires. If you have Quebec licence plates, you have to have snow tires for winter. Fine of up to $300 for not having them. This law is based on studies which show that all-season radials are not good for winter.

The prediction is that later this winter there may be a shortage of snow tires in Canada.....or a delay in getting the brand you want in the size you want...all the rental companies, cab companies, etc are rushing to buy them right now.

If you're thinking of getting snow tires this winter, might want to do it sooner rather than later.....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a law in Quebec now about snow tires. If you have Quebec licence plates, you have to have snow tires for winter. Fine of up to $300 for not having them. This law is based on studies which show that all-season radials are not good for winter.

The prediction is that later this winter there may be a shortage of snow tires in Canada.....or a delay in getting the brand you want in the size you want...all the rental companies, cab companies, etc are rushing to buy them right now.

If you're thinking of getting snow tires this winter, might want to do it sooner rather than later.....

Sounds like the tire mfg paid off the lawmakers??? Usually when they pass laws they give you some lead in time and the $300 fine cost will buy you a couple of good tires..

Will A/T's qualify?? If so just run them all year. It's a jeep.

Dave

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They passed the law in the spring I think it was, now it's a mad rush at the last minute. It might pass in Ontario also.
I think the studies are fixed. I've seen people with winter tires slide all over the place while I'm using all seasons and being in control at all times (I've been driving a Caravan for the past 7 years, my work has me on the road all day) People need to be educated, not made to believe they can rely on their new tires in crappy weather.
My neighbor is a cop and agrees with me 100%....it's the people not the tires. Most people up here go for their driving tests during the summer...why do you think that is?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet they never pass that law here in Northern Alberta and if they do good luck on enforcing it. This is truck country here.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with TJKJ. It's a very widely misunderstood thing about "snow" tires. People get those confused with "studded" tires. Almost all tires sold have an M + S or MS on the sidewall. That means the tire is a mud/snow rated tire-- aka "traction tire".

The only tires that won't have that designation are the high-performance street tires with the low profile sidewalls or asymetrical tread. Basically, the guy in the blingy hummer and 29" street dubs is screwed.

Living in the northwest, they start requiring snow tires in the winter when going through the passes. My brother-in-law got all freaked out because he didn't have 'snow tires' on his van. I told him about the M+S designation and sure enough, he went out to his car and they had it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
It's real funny hear in Metro Vancouver. We don't really get all that much snow here, but when we do, hoards of people go to the local tire shop and clear them out of "snow tires" when the white stuff has already landed and hundreds of vehicles have gone off the road. Then 2-3 days later all the snow has already melted away!
Back when I worked, I would just take a day or two off so not to get caught up in the traffic nightmare.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Best Snow Flake Rated Tires Are...

Only tires with the snow flake symbol are snow/winter tires in Canada. M+S is an all season tire.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tires/wintertires/menu.htm

In Canada the best snow flake rated tire for your liberty will be the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor tires. Sidewalls are thick compared to most and the Kevlar belts keep these tires quieter than the stock tires ! Can't wait for snow up to Whistler for some back road fun! Worth the money in the long winter run!
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyeartireselector/

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I don't seem to see much of a difference between "all season" and "winter" tire tread patterns I have found a great difference in their performance in the winter. Maybe its the rubber compound. Trying to drive my Libby on the snow & ice with "all season" tires was like trying to walk on grease with roller skates on.

I can't believe that the Quebec government had to legislate snow tires in a country that has a lot of severe winter weather. I believe that part of the reason is because of the rental car companies were refusing to use winter tires in the winter months (cost saving). Of course this will likely mean an increased cost in a car rentals in Quebec now.

Myself, I already have my winter tires on but I'm shopping for some 265/75R16's AT's to ride on all year round.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Most true winter tires rubber compound is engineered to really start performing at temperatures 5 degree Celsius = 41 degree Fahrenheit and lower. Above that temperature after extended time (ie. the rest of the year-spring summer and early Autum) they wear quickly. And of course with studded tyres the shred the road surface in non winter months.

Zappa

Reaction score
Hi, for me that law changes nothing, I put my winter tires each winter. But the law is little stupid. M + S do not accepted, but LT is accepted for now. So I can keep my MTR for winter but it's like skating and forget to remove the blade protects, it's crazy.
I like the Toyo Open Country GO2 PLus , it's a good ice tire

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just barely got winter tires for my work vehicle. And yes winter tires are in short supply here thanks to Quebec.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ol' Peace Country has been getting plenty of winter lately, huh? Our roads are disgusterous....just had another couple of inches of snow last night. It's fun as heck to go charging around in it though...full time 4wd, studded winter tires....yeeehaw! Driving this rig in winter is definitely a snow sport.....:D

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you guys have it bad in FSJ. How many accidents were there last week when the snow started falling? I heard of 2 - big rig went over an embankment and a pickup truck followed.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were 7 on Taylor hill alone in one day. For some reason they only sanded one side of the road for a few hours, and people were hitting the ditch. I don't think there were any injuries, but some banged up vehicles. It was crazy because it rained quite hard, then froze good and hard, then snowed to cover up the ice.

Seems to happen just about every year, gets everybody running to get their winter tires on.....;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course with studded tyres the shred the road surface in non winter months.

Socks.....It is illegal to run studded tires past I think April or May 1st here. (I don't pay attention to the exact date as I don't run them)

Dave