Smooth Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alrod

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an 04 Jeep Liberty Limited with just over 97,000 miles on it. I have always enjoyed it's smooth ride, but am noticing that it is time to change the shocks and possibly coils. i notice on this forum that a popular replacement choice is either OME, Bilstein, or a combination of the two.

My main interest is for a nice smooth highway drive. I rarely take my liberty on challenging off-road terrain. I also have no interest in "lifting". That being said, what OME/Bilstein shock/spring combo would you recommend? Or, since this combo does lift the vehicle, is there another recommendation? Again I prefer a nice smooth highway ride over something that is more suitable for off-road. I literally only take the Liberty off-road maybe 3-4 times a year, and by off-road I mean mainly side mountain roads with a few pot holes and rocks to drive over.

Thanks!

Alrod

Reaction score
Go with OME light duty coils and either Bilstien or OME shocks,will give you a modest lift of about 1.5" and ride better then new.
Thanks.
Is there a particular part number? Also, this may sound petty but is there an option with zero lift?

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you don't want any lift then I would get Monroe front quick struts. That is the shock, spring, mounting plate all in one nice already put together package. Then get Monroe sense-a-trac rear shocks and Spicer rear springs. That will bring your truck back to its original height and ride. You can get any and all those parts at any Napa, norwood, carquest, advanced, auto parts store.

Alrod

Reaction score
Since you don't want any lift then I would get Monroe front quick struts. That is the shock, spring, mounting plate all in one nice already put together package. Then get Monroe sense-a-trac rear shocks and Spicer rear springs. That will bring your truck back to its original height and ride. You can get any and all those parts at any Napa, norwood, carquest, advanced, auto parts store.

Now I do realize that beggars can't be choosers, but is that the only real viable option? I notice that on this forum the Monroe sense-a-trac's do not get the best of reviews.

I do like the idea of the "all-in-one coil over. If there are no other viable options I may go with the OME/Bilstein option. That being said, what series/part number would work best for the smooth ride I am looking for?

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you can go with Spicer front and rear coils and bilstein front and rear shocks for 0 lift.

Alrod

Reaction score
Well you can go with Spicer front and rear coils and bilstein front and rear shocks for 0 lift.

Thanks for all your advice!

I was wondering, since at 97,000 the Jeep still rides ok, in other words it doesn't bottom out or bounce all over the place. Would it be advisable to simply replace the shocks with the Bilsteins's? Are new coils/springs really necessary at this point?

90% of the time it is just me and or my wife in the Jeep. I have never towed anything with it. There is the occasional Home Depot and furniture shopping with it as well as trips to the beach and mountains. Thoughts?

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to replace the springs. Libertys tend to sag and some people don't like it. So they replace the springs also

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to add on to that if your replacing the shocks you have to take apart the front coilover so you might as well put in new springs too

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the idea of the "all-in-one coil over. If there are no other viable options I may go with the OME/Bilstein option. That being said, what series/part number would work best for the smooth ride I am looking for?

Read here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/struts-50153/
You will find:
925 would be as close to stock for the front but they are not a common choice here. Shocks are the same length as stock up front, lifted or not.

Those few that went 926 seemed happy as they a little springy-er.
947 rears would lift you as little as possible.

The faq has the rest for the more common choices
That every will swear by including me.

I was wondering, since at 97,000 the Jeep still rides ok, in other words it doesn't bottom out or bounce all over the place. Would it be advisable to simply replace the shocks with the Bilsteins's? Are new coils/springs really necessary at this point?

If your "happy" why change anything? At that mileage they are both worn out. You will be "happier" with new coils.

No need to replace the springs. Libertys tend to sag and some people don't like it. So they replace the springs also

This is the first time I've seen this advice, most advise against changing just the shocks.

Grab a measuring tape and check out:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/actual-lift-amount-lets-compare-fender-heights-39094/

You will probably find you sagged quite a bit from stock.

Alrod

Reaction score
Grab a measuring tape and check out:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/actual-lift-amount-lets-compare-fender-heights-39094/

You will probably find you sagged quite a bit from stock.

Measuring on a flat surface, centering on the wheel, from the ground to the bottom of the fender flare I get the following measurements:

Rear = 33"
Front = 32"

From the top of the tires to the bottom of the fender flare:

Rear = 4"
Front = 3"

My tire pressure is 34psi
My tires are 235/65R17 and are about one month old, with maybe 250 - 300 miles on them.

What should my measurements be?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You've sagged about 3/4 of an inch to an inch
Replace everything, with that many miles it is all worn ( springs and shocks)
personally I would go with at least the 926 front OME springs they are the medium duty ones and either OME front shocks or Bilstein
another option would be a full Ironman kit, great ride, with any extras you'll get some lift over new stock height. On road ride is very smooth
You're looking at 675 or so for that kit .
I would never think of just putting new shocks on and keeping the stock springs, be like wearing new socks with worn out shoes

Latest posts

Members online