Smoke and No Washer Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kregghensley

Reaction score
I was on the way home Friday and noticed some grime on my windshield. I flipped the switch on my steering column to spray some washer fluid, and the result was unexpected. My wipers activate but and washer fluid squirted out. Shortly after that, smoke began rising out of my steering column that smelled like an electrical fire.

I pulled into my driveway and check the wiper and turn signal levers. Everything worked, except that washer fluid no longer squirts out. I removed the steering column cover and could not find any wires that looked like they had been fried. Does this sound like my multifunction switch crapped out or could there be some other issue?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on the way home Friday and noticed some grime on my windshield. I flipped the switch on my steering column to spray some washer fluid, and the result was unexpected. My wipers activate but and washer fluid squirted out. Shortly after that, smoke began rising out of my steering column that smelled like an electrical fire.

I pulled into my driveway and check the wiper and turn signal levers. Everything worked, except that washer fluid no longer squirts out. I removed the steering column cover and could not find any wires that looked like they had been fried. Does this sound like my multifunction switch crapped out or could there be some other issue?

Does the rear washer still work? Uses the same motor but runs in opposite direction; this may at least prove if your washer motor is still operational.
Do you have water in the resevoir? ...my water level switch fell apart long ago so I have to check that there is water in the bottle.
Have you checked the fuses?

Does sound like the mutifunction switch has packed up...you could place a voltmeter over the washer motor to see if you get any power there.

kregghensley

Reaction score
Does the rear washer still work? Uses the same motor but runs in opposite direction; this may at least prove if your washer motor is still operational.
Do you have water in the resevoir? ...my water level switch fell apart long ago so I have to check that there is water in the bottle.
Have you checked the fuses?

Does sound like the mutifunction switch has packed up...you could place a voltmeter over the washer motor to see if you get any power there.

Thanks for the response, all good things to check for.
- Water in reservoir = completely full
- Fuses = good to go
- Rear washer = does not work either

I'll break out the voltmeter and see if the pump is getting power. In new developments, all of the lights on my dash flipped off briefly and then back on today. Something ain't right.

Latest posts

Members online