Slotted Rotors and Mud. Do they mix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do a brake change and I have a question on slotted rotors and mud. I've never had any experience with slotted rotors on an off-road vehicle.

Do the slotts fill up with mud? I can't help but think that they would and that it couldn't be good for the pads.

I'm looking at purchasing either the NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors or the NAPA Hi-Perf Rotors. Are the Hi-Perf even worth the extra $26? Or should I just stick with the Ultra Premiums?

Pic of the Hi-Perf...
You must be registered for see images

My KJ obviously doesn't see any track use, but I frequently tow and off-road. I also live in the mountains, so I do a lot of mountain braking. Just wondering if they would provide any benefit. However, if they cake up with mud and ruin the pads, then I'm not interested.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They might, and they wouldn't self clean very well in the slots.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud doesn't go well with much of anything.

I love my slotted rotors, but I avoid mud like the plague. I'm trying to maintain my "Never been stuck" streak.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mud doesn't go well with much of anything.

I love my slotted rotors, but I avoid mud like the plague. I'm trying to maintain my "Never been stuck" streak.
I love mud. Come on man, how can you own a Jeep and not love the mud?:p

If I didn't do any off-roading, I would be more inclined to go with the slotted ones. But I do, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge of how slotted rotors do when taken off-road and mud slinging.

Like you guys suggest as well, I wouldn't think they play well together.

Midgear

Reaction score
I love mud. Come on man, how can you own a Jeep and not love the mud?:p

If I didn't do any off-roading, I would be more inclined to go with the slotted ones. But I do, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience/knowledge of how slotted rotors do when taken off-road and mud slinging.

Like you guys suggest as well, I wouldn't think they play well together.

this doesn't directly apply to what you're asking, but I had slotted rotors on my previous vehicle, which was a car and never saw the dirt, and the slots caked up with BRAKE DUST. every now and then I'd get a tooth pick or something and clean the slots out. I could only imagine how quickly they'd be packed full of muck while off roading. Cross drilled rotors might be worth looking into, but slotted ones, especially if they will see off road use, might not be something you'd want.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this doesn't directly apply to what you're asking, but I had slotted rotors on my previous vehicle, which was a car and never saw the dirt, and the slots caked up with BRAKE DUST. every now and then I'd get a tooth pick or something and clean the slots out. I could only imagine how quickly they'd be packed full of muck while off roading. Cross drilled rotors might be worth looking into, but slotted ones, especially if they will see off road use, might not be something you'd want.

I believe the issue might have been your pad/rotor combination. I have the PowerSlot rotors and Adaptive One Ceramics and have zero dust problems-- both in the slots and in the wheel in general. I'm not an expert on all the different kinds of pads out there, but I do know that some pads really throw out the dust. You see a lot of SUV's out here where the front alloys all have a reddish dust all over them, as if they've been driving through a desert in Utah.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the slotted disc rotors are meant for highway braking not trail use. The slots would get easily packed with dirt & mud and shorten the life of your pads.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you are right. I think the consensus is that slotts and mud don't mix.

I think I'm going to go with the Ultra Premiums.

Thanks everyone.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
under consistant brake use that generates a lot of heat, the pad gives off kind of a gas, that can cause a cusion effect between the pad and brake surface (drum or rotor), kind of like water can create a cusion between your tire and the pavement. The slots are there to give the gas a way out (like those aqua-tread tires do for hydroplaning) so you can have solid and predictable brake action every time. unless you are doing rallye racing, or towing heavy loads, with your jeep through mountain grades and curves you probably will never notice a benefit to the slots

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
under consistant brake use that generates a lot of heat, the pad gives off kind of a gas, that can cause a cusion effect between the pad and brake surface (drum or rotor), kind of like water can create a cusion between your tire and the pavement. The slots are there to give the gas a way out (like those aqua-tread tires do for hydroplaning) so you can have solid and predictable brake action every time. unless you are doing rallye racing, or towing heavy loads, with your jeep through mountain grades and curves you probably will never notice a benefit to the slots

You're probably right, but they sure are sexy.

However, I do get the peace of mind that these puppies will probably never warp because they're just damned fine brake equipment.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do tow, sometimes fairly heavy loads, but mostly a camper, and I live in the mountains of WNC. Lots of curves as well.

That is why I am even interested in them. I though about getting something to help reduce the risk of warpage and something to extend the life of the pad. However, I also off-road. Lots of mud around here. If I had enough time and money to change the brakes back and forth each time I go to do something different, I would. I'm having to pick the best of both.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would make for an interesting preperation for 'wheelin'... I'd say get the slotted ones... better to have good braking ability in all conditions, even if it means the pads wear a little faster due to mud in the slots... or just hose them off everytime you get done muddin' or even the cross drilled would be good for you i would think

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This not 1965 anymore and modern pads(even the cheap ones) do not "out gas" like the older pads of the '70's and older pads did.

In the modern world slotted rotors do one thing and that is to help prevent glazing.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This not 1965 anymore and modern pads(even the cheap ones) do not "out gas" like the older pads of the '70's and older pads did.

In the modern world slotted rotors do one thing and that is to help prevent glazing.

Say tjkj2002, would you know if it's true that you need specific pads to use with slotted rotors and wouldn't the slotted rotors lessen the lifetime of the pads?
I'm thinking in regards to no-Jeep vehicles.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ok, thanks... I know they still do on tractor trailers... which don't even get to have rotors because there is less braking surface

calamaridog

Reaction score
I was checking out some race trucks before the baja several years ago. Many of them had slotted rotors.

I've had slotted rotors on my last three 4x4's and I'll continue to use them. Upgraded my Liberty to slotted prior to a long five day off road adventure and I'm still pleased with the results. I saw lots of mud during this trip and the brakes performed awesome.

I've been using SP performance rotors and Hawk pads. Every application I have used this combination on has enjoyed increased braking performance.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking out some race trucks before the baja several years ago. Many of them had slotted rotors.

I've had slotted rotors on my last three 4x4's and I'll continue to use them. Upgraded my Liberty to slotted prior to a long five day off road adventure and I'm still pleased with the results. I saw lots of mud during this trip and the brakes performed awesome.

I've been using SP performance rotors and Hawk pads. Every application I have used this combination on has enjoyed increased braking performance.

My opinion is that the slots just aren't deep enough. It makes the whole thing a non-issue even if driving in deep mud. I mean, think about it, your entire wheel, brake caliper, pads etc are jammed in 13" of mud, are 7 slots on a rotor less than an 1/8th of an inch deep going to seriously hamper your brake performance?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

I also have used Hawk SD Ferro-Carbon Brake Pads on the sedan.
http://www.hawkperformance.com/truck/
These are excellent quality, and the stopping distance and longevity difference compared to stock is noticeable. 3 years later on the sedan 40k miles, I still have 50 percent left.
I just checked the look up from Hawk and they do not list Pads for the rears on any model of Jeep Liberty.

Last edited:

calamaridog

Reaction score
My opinion is that the slots just aren't deep enough. It makes the whole thing a non-issue even if driving in deep mud. I mean, think about it, your entire wheel, brake caliper, pads etc are jammed in 13" of mud, are 7 slots on a rotor less than an 1/8th of an inch deep going to seriously hamper your brake performance?

My experience is no. I drove through hours of mud and the brakes cleaned out fine. Those pads were just broken in before that trip and went 60k before replacement.

Members online

No members online now.