Slip yoke eliminator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a slip yoke eliminator on their kj? I am looking at getting new drive shafts and the company recommended getting some before ordering new driveshafts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are they saying you need a SYE ???
and why are you getting new driveshafts ?

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting new driveshafts after researching common parts that break when going off road. My research indicates that driveshafts are the second most common part to break when off roading. Given the years of salt my Jeep has seen. I would rather be safe than sorry. The company, who specialize in off road drive shafts, said that my driveshaft angle most likely changed with my taller tires and my 3 inch lift. And that they recommend geting a slip yolk eliminator before taking the measurements for the new driveshafts. I was hoping more of the experienced members would have some knosledge on this and could offer some advise.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of any Liberty driveshaft breaking in all the years I've been dealing with them and the various sites I'm on.
Yes your angle has changed with the lift, but I have ran over 200,000 miles and wheeled often at over 4 inches of lift on the 04, no issues

If you do not have a front locker and hammer on it front diff will break way before anything else

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of any Liberty driveshaft breaking in all the years I've been dealing with them and the various sites I'm on.
Yes your angle has changed with the lift, but I have ran over 200,000 miles and wheeled often at over 4 inches of lift on the 04, no issues

If you do not have a front locker and hammer on it front diff will break way before anything else
Have you had no diff problems in that 200,000 miles? I have an OME lift and am at 85,000 miles, half of those with the lift. My rear UCA ball joint and bushes are completely shot and I need new pinion bearings. I think the UCA being worn out is common with the lift, but could the exagerated drive shaft angle cause early failure of the pinion bearings?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been on the Liberty forums for 10 years and never heard of anyone needing an SYE. XJ cherokees with lifts sometimes needed them, but not KJ or KK’s. The UBJ tri-link is a common failure point even in unlifted KJ’s, which is why Jeep re-engineered the rear suspension for the KK to get rid of it. (Been lifted 123k miles on my KK and never an issue). When replacing the tri-link, Mopar and Moog are the better ones, although they will fail again. Iron Rock Offroad (if I remember correctly) makes a replacement for the tri-link that is bulletproof. It may be for the WJ Grand Cherokee, but works on the KJ too. (Tom, please correct me if I have the details wrong.)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had no diff problems in that 200,000 miles? I have an OME lift and am at 85,000 miles, half of those with the lift. My rear UCA ball joint and bushes are completely shot and I need new pinion bearings. I think the UCA being worn out is common with the lift, but could the exagerated drive shaft angle cause early failure of the pinion bearings?
No issues at all ,
None , lifted it before it had 20,000 miles on it back in 05, Have not had an issue , diff was always at or close to the right angle

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I was just unlucky then, the outer pinion bearing race and rollers had some pitting, only in two spots on the race, but the howling was really loud.