Silverstar light 9007 headlamp bulbs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,

I bought OSRAM SYLVANIA - SilverStar Ultra head lamp 9007 bulbs on the 14 of February of this year. Cost me $43.00.
I install them properly. As in do not touch the glass bulb itself or Bla, Bla, Bla.
If you catch my drift. I have replaced so many Halogen in so many car,trucks, you name it, that I lost count. Besides, look at my Mini
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32530.
One of the damn things burnt out two weeks ago. Not only that but when both were operational, they SUCK Big Time!
Despite what I read in reviews.

I went as far as testing the head lamp connector with my Fluke multi-meter
and there is nothing wrong with the voltage or current being supplied. I checked the functional bulb with a power supply and yea, when you look at the bulb during a bench test it looks impressively bright.
In th KJ at night while driving. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate them 0.
Went back to the auto parts store with them and asked if the one year warranty OSRAM SYLVANIA provide has to be mailed to them or if it's over the counter Honorable.

No problem, bring 'em back. Full refund for both bulbs.
Now I have installed Hella "For off road use only" 110w-80w bulbs.

I also wired in an additional relay to each bulb (Ala Rallye Car)
And these ampoule's kick ass!
F__kin A!

Not only do they light up the road, but are just as bright ad H.I.D. Cool blue coulour, brighter whiter light!.

So, now I'm thinking (I did this on both my Mini headlights) The bulb guard that sits directly over the bulb to decrease the amount of candle power being aimed down the road (To avoid blinding oncoming motorists). Yank it out, re-aim the headlights yourself and Bingo! More light down the road with minimal oncoming traffic nuisance factor! (cool). You see (no pun intended) motor cycles with conventional headlamps from yester-year, are the same beam pattern in the lens was identical the the automotive variant only without that center bulb guard. That way motor cyclists have more light because they only have one head light.

Is it legal?

According to retired R.C.M.P. brother-in-law. There is nothing in the motor vehicle act stating that it is not permitted. So, I won't git a citation and fine (Which they are so good at dishing out.)

So, that would be a good increase in lighting from the Liberty's stock head lamps. But I would need to take the KJ head lamps out for at least four day's in order to disassemble the light unit-separate the reflector from the len's.
I will probably purchase one from the breakers and do one at a time.
I'm sure that they are not inexpensive used let alone new.

One other question.

Passenger side tail lamp has condensation building up inside.
Any idea why or what causes it?

rockon.gif

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Silverstars with no problem, and they did look alot better than regular bulbs on mine. Maybe you got a bad set or something? Will the higher wattage of those other bulbs damage anything? I've always been paranoid about that.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
No, not with a relay in between.
Hell, you can run them with just the stock wire under the hood, as the gauger of the wire looks to be substantial enough.

And yes, I probably did have a bad set.
The Hella's also set us back (on sale no less, $108.00 reg.) $75.00
But they are awesome.

I went looking out of curiosity how much the Bosch 225's cost now and how much for a lamp cover.

Bosch 225= $248.00 a piece!
lamp cover= $102.00 each

I bought mine at K Mart!
$49.97 each X 4= $199.88 US $215.87 Canadian $$
$ cost less than 1 here!

Emydol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does you tail light have a crack? my passenger side turn light had a crack in the seam and had condensation in it.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Ultra's and I like them. From what I've read here I could have saved some $$ and just gotten the regular Silverstars.

Hmmm, I just might go get a set today and mod them for fogs. Besides, that gives me an excuse to get a Dremel set too!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had the regular silver stars for over a year and they are doing great.. Not to sure what to replace them with when the time comes.. May just get them again since I like them so much..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've had Silverstars on 2 different KJs now and I'll never go back. Even my mom just HAD to get a set on her vehicle.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Nope, I'm now wondering if because it is still around 49 degrees at night and then in the morning it warms up rather quick-well the sun hit's the jeep early-Hence condensation?

Just a guess.

Ryan

Moisture still needs to enter the light, hence condensation.

I had a front signal that did that so I took some clear silicone and sealed the mating surfaces of the housing. No more moisture.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good day,

I bought OSRAM SYLVANIA - SilverStar Ultra head lamp 9007 bulbs on the 14 of February of this year. Cost me $43.00.
I install them properly. As in do not touch the glass bulb itself or Bla, Bla, Bla.
If you catch my drift. I have replaced so many Halogen in so many car,trucks, you name it, that I lost count. Besides, look at my Mini
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32530.
One of the damn things burnt out two weeks ago. Not only that but when both were operational, they SUCK Big Time!
Despite what I read in reviews.

I went as far as testing the head lamp connector with my Fluke multi-meter
and there is nothing wrong with the voltage or current being supplied. I checked the functional bulb with a power supply and yea, when you look at the bulb during a bench test it looks impressively bright.
In th KJ at night while driving. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate them 0.
Went back to the auto parts store with them and asked if the one year warranty OSRAM SYLVANIA provide has to be mailed to them or if it's over the counter Honorable.

No problem, bring 'em back. Full refund for both bulbs.
No I have installed Hella "For off road use only" 110w-80w bulbs.

I also wired in an additional relay to each bulb (Ala Rallye Car)
And these ampoule's kick ass!
F__kin A!

Not only do they light up the road, but are just as bright ad H.I.D. Cool blue coulour, brighter whiter light!.

So, now I'm thinking (I did this on both my Mini headlights) The bulb guard that sits directly over the bulb to decrease the amount of candle power being aimed down the road (To avoid blinding oncoming motorists). Yank it out, re-aim the headlights yourself and Bingo! More light down the road with minimal oncoming traffic nuisance factor! (cool). You see (no pun intended) motor cycles with conventional headlamps from yester-year, are the same beam pattern in the lens was identical the the automotive variant only without that center bulb guard. That way motor cyclists have more light because they only have one head light.

Is it legal?

According to retired R.C.M.P. brother-in-law. There is nothing in the motor vehicle act stating that it is not permitted. So, I won't git a citation and fine (Which they are so good at dishing out.)

So, that would be a good increase in lighting from the Liberty's stock head lamps. But I would need to take the KJ head lamps out for at least four day's in order to disassemble the light unit-separate the reflector from the len's.
I will probably purchase one from the breakers and do one at a time.
I'm sure that they are not inexpensive used let alone new.

One other question.

Passenger side tail lamp has condensation building up inside.
Any idea why or what causes it?

rockon.gif
I had the exact opisite thing happen to me.I had the Hella's(80w-low,110w-high) in my KJ for 3 years,but 2 of those years my KJ was in a temp controled storage and they burnt out in the 12 months time of actually using them.Replaced with silverstars and haven't burn't them out in over 2 years now.Granted the silverstars are not as bright as the Hella's they have lasted longer so far and for alot less $$$$.If I need that much more light then I've got my 2 KC HID long range lights on my ARB.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the Silverstars in for a long time. When they died after 1.5yrs I put in the Ultras. Not a huge difference since I city drive. The Ultras work best on longer darker roads and such. Those died on me recently so I went back to the Silverstars. I average nearly 1.5yrs+ on each set.