Silly question...for amp installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never installed an amplifier before; always had a professional do it.

So now I'm here overseas...Guess what? They charge $150-$200 for installing an amplifier (even if you do have a wiring kit)!! Why? According to some idiots who were trying to rip me off, it is because my Jeep is a "foreign" or "luxury" vehicle. Well, I gave them all the "What the hell!?" look and walked away. :-s

Anyway, I know this is a silly question, but does anyone have pictures of behind the stock stereo of a 2005 Liberty AM/FM/CD? It'd help even more if the pics pointed out what wire is which. (whistle)

I'd just like to get an idea of what I'm facing before I decide to dissect the insides of my Libby. I don't have a garage so I wouldn't want to be in pieces out in public without being fully prepared.

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. I just wanted to say THERE ARE NO SILLY QUESTIONS. If you don't know something and you want too........ asking is the SMART thing to do.

Ian

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I don't have pictures, but whats behind there is 8 wires that run to the speakers from the deck. and other wires such as pos, neg, dimmer, accessory, and a bus wire.

How are you thinking of hooking this amp up? speakerlevel input or getting a RCA converter box thing?

Bennett

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you thinking of hooking this amp up? speakerlevel input or getting a RCA converter box thing?

Bennett

Well, I'm not exactly sure if what I'm saying makes sense due to my zero experience in amp installation, but I was thinking directly running the front/rear speakers off the amp and leaving the stock stereo to run the two tweeters in front. Am I on a right track?

I'm assuming there is some type of output from the deck that will send a signal to my amp, correct?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eddiev9 said:

Bennett

Well, I'm not exactly sure if what I'm saying makes sense due to my zero experience in amp installation, but I was thinking directly running the front/rear speakers off the amp and leaving the stock stereo to run the two tweeters in front. Am I on a right track?

I'm assuming there is some type of output from the deck that will send a signal to my amp, correct?
The tweeters are connect to the front speaker not the stock stereo (at least in the premium setup). There isnt a seperate output from the stereo for the tweeters.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tweeters are connect to the front speaker not the stock stereo (at least in the premium setup). There isnt a seperate output from the stereo for the tweeters.

Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like I'll have to find some replacement tweeters now.
#-o

and other wires such as pos, neg, dimmer, accessory, and a bus wire.

Which one of these 'other' wires would be the one that connects to the...'remote' connection of the amp? Is that wire supposed to be spliced in with the existing remote connection to the HU?

I did a little research and I'm thinking of going with the RCA converter. I don't have the amp yet nor have I seen the back of my head unit yet. I am imagining there is a bundle of cables connected into an adapter that plugs in the back of the HU. Am I supposed to cut the speaker cables, connect the converter toward the HU, connect RCA's to the amp, and then the amp's output directly to the speakers?

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the connector from the 2004 service manual. You want to use IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT to turn ON/OFF the AMP.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too sure if anyone is able to answer this, but would anyone happen to know if the interior design of the Jeep changed over the years?

What I mean by that, specifically, is I noticed around the 02-03 models, people are able to fit small amplifiers (about 10" x 10") under the driver's seat; I've seen pictures, but when I look underneath my 05 driver's seat, I just can't see it fitting into there.

Am I missing some tips & tricks?

I know there's space under the back seat, left side, but I was hoping I could save that spot some day for a sub amp.