Side Steps mounting hardware

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me out with this. I bought a set of side steps that were new, but missing their mounting hardware. Most of the hardware is just off the shelf bolts and flanged nuts, but I cannot find anyone that carries Parts G and H or the part numbers from these instructions. THEY HAVE TO BE AVAILABLE FROM JEEP!

None of the Jeep dealers I called know how to find these parts, or even if I can get the mounting hardware as an entire set (which I know would cost way more than its worth since I bought all the bolts and nuts for under 20) I just need to get parts G and H

http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82206118.pdf

Unless I am looking in the wrong spot, the parts catalog shows the side BARS mounting entirely differently, with different brackets and 8mm bolts. Thing is, side steps are listed in the Mopar catalog as being a production item on the Renegade.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 2 "u bolts" look like the same type that go in through the box frame that the front factory mopar tow hooks bolt on to when you get the front mopar tow hooks. I don't know if they are the same size but the ones I installed were hardened and heavy duty. If you could get your hands on two of them I bet they would work. They looked like the ones in your picture with one threaded end longer than the other. Kinda reminded me of a real heavy duty muffler clamp except it was flattened out instead of round.

Dave

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish it was that simple, trust me. There are 2 sizes of that "u bolt" needed - 34.5mm long and 55.5mm long. Additionally, the parts catalog for the tow hooks shows EVERY component of the front tow hooks except for that piece. Take a look at the catalog and you will see what I mean. Theyy show that bolt as threaded through the stud plate, and list the stud plate part number. That's it. Not to mention I don't know if it is even the right length, and still need 2 sizes...

If I could get some class 8 hex bolts up there, they would work fine, too...as long as nobody heavy stepped on them. Here is my theory: (and class 8 is more than strong enough) the "u bolt" disperses the load across that section of the frame, rather than the head of a hex bolt which would pull on the hole and has a propensity for stressing it. There just isn't enough surface area on the head of the bolt to put much of a load on it. Additionally, as is shown by the directions in figure 7, you not only have to get it into the frame in an area where there is an access hole, figure 11 has you drilling and there is nowhere to feed bolts to the interior there... so that idea is out.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Item G looks like the staggered "U" bolts that came with my Mopar brush guard, but there is no part number associated with it other than "M 10".

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why you need that "u bolt" because you can feed it in there where you can't get a bolt in and as you say, the "u bolt" spreads the force out. I can't think of anything other than that "u bolt" that would work. One end of that "u bolt" is shorter than the other so you can feed it in through the frame and into the hole. I can't think of anything elce at the moment. I got a brain cramp right now.

Dave

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my brush guard I also got a sheet of paper that states:

Thank you for purchasing this quality accessory.

It was packaged by __618____

If you have any installation problems please call customer service

1-800-739-6837

Monday - Friday

8:00 AM - 4:30 PM (Eastern time)

Please have the following information available

Part Number
Ship Date (from label on box)
Hardware Package Number

I just tried calling but nobody answered so I don't know where this number goes, maybe DC?

It's worth a try I guess to say you are missing those bolts.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried looking it up in the manual - no luck. Hopefully that 800 number Timmer gave you will work. I wonder if a heavy duty bracket could be welded on if all elce fails??

Dave

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chrysler's response is the exact same thing...call Ground Effects (the number provided) in Windsor, Ontario to order the parts from them. Turns out they're the same guys that DCx sends the Charger to for its after factory add-ons :) Good luck getting hold of the guy that handles this, though. He is only there from 8-1 EST.