Should I powdercoat my skids for sale or not?

If you were buying a skid, which would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boiler

Reaction score
I'm debating powdercoating my front skids, as well as my bumpers and gas tank skid. With aluminum, you're going to want some kind of coating at least to make them look good. I personally think rattle-can coating is ok, as you can touch it up easy, but you could rattle can over powdercoat I guess.

What would you guys prefer, get it bare, or have them powdercoated gloss black for a few bucks more?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would prefer something really tough like a bed liner with UV protection.
Edit: Can You make a pair of Rock Rails, got factory skids, they got undercoated.

Last edited:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Boiler,
Maybe advertise the powdercoat as an option? Maybe some people would want to paint them and some wouldn't? It would be a boring world if we were all the same wouldn't it? Just my opinion. Steve :D

Zelroth

Reaction score
I would prefer the powder coat. For a black finish, $88 isn't bad at all. It would cost me $10+ to paint it myself anyways.

How much for a bedliner type finish?

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powder coating is cool but how abrasion resistant is it? Mine's not coming coated is it? Think I'll just paint it. I wheel my KJ enough that I elect to repaint my skids at least twice a year to control corrosion.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO
powder coating things that are DESIGNED to be scratched
is a complete waste of money
Rattle can is much easier ,on the seller
and can be touched up easily
I rattle can'ed my rock sliders about 4 years ago
they came bare steel
now they look bad but I can easily fix that
once you scratch powder coating it is done
not so bad on alum. but on steel it will simply let in water then
hold it against the steel making it rust faster

Boiler

Reaction score
Powder coating is cool but how abrasion resistant is it? Mine's not coming coated is it? Think I'll just paint it. I wheel my KJ enough that I elect to repaint my skids at least twice a year to control corrosion.

It is more abrasion resistant than paint, but still probably not going to matter against a rock. I just thought it might be nice to not have to paint them the first time.

I could have them to order but I'd really like to make them all the same. I'm thinking standard will remain bare, but I may add the option of powdercoat later.

Any skids I've sent or will send in the next month will remain bare for sure.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to offer it, I would say have it as an option.
Like it has been stated, powdercoat will still scratch off on rocks and some of us who buy them will be using them for their intended purpose and don't mind rattle can paint with touch ups when needed.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pics ?

Sooo...... u have front skids for sale ?
In ur sig. i only see other items,this is the first i am hearing of this. Ive been considering skids for the engine/trans., is this the skid u will be selling?

do u have any pics or are u still in design stage? will they have mounts to existing holes ?

most i see are really thick and heavy, i know, tis the better, but for me that does mild off-road(no rocks) i was thinking a mopar style of skid would be fine,but having no luck sourcing.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm debating powdercoating my front skids, as well as my bumpers and gas tank skid. With aluminum, you're going to want some kind of coating at least to make them look good. I personally think rattle-can coating is ok, as you can touch it up easy, but you could rattle can over powdercoat I guess.

What would you guys prefer, get it bare, or have them powdercoated gloss black for a few bucks more?

Never mind, i think i misunderstood. u are getting input regarding your gas tank skid for sale, the part about the front skids in your OP was just that u were gonna powdercoat your own set.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cans of rustoleum are 3 bucks at meijer

Meijer is the greatest store in the world, biggest thing I miss about MI; that and Steak and Shake :D

I would say powdercoat. If it is only 13 bucks more, it would be worth it to me. You can always touch it up later. I am pretty lazy though and don't like painting stuff.

f1paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha, nice work on the skids, and rack, me likey.