Should I buy a 2WD or 4WD Liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adders

Reaction score
OK, hi all (first post).

A friend has a 05 Liberty 2WD that i've driven a lot and i'm gearing up to buy one (probably an 06) myself now. I'm trying to decide whether to go 4WD or 2WD.

I like driving offroad down in Baja Mexico (i'm in Southern California) but dont' necessarily need to be doing anything too extreme - mainly coastal dirt roads. I've driven these kinds of places in a Honda CRV before and it was OK - pretty unchallenging terrain - like I said mostly dirt roads. If I can do that kind of driving in a 2WD i'll prefer to save the $ and go with 2WD.

So sorry for the longwindedness but my basic question is 'how good is a Liberty 2WD for fairly unchallenging off-road driving?

Thanks in advance...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not believe you will ever need 4wd. dont get it.

I could never imagine owning a Jeep that is 2wd though.

The 2006 Liberty has ESP and traction control anyway which i would believe would help out alot. O:)

adders

Reaction score
Thanks jeepjeepster - that definitely makes sense. My dilemma is working out whether i'll really need 4WD for the type of stuff I want to do - light off-roading.

Basically i'm looking at two 06s right now, same price, same package/options, etc. One is 2WD with 4K miles on it the other is 4WD with 16K on it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
If the prices are the same, i'd honestly go with the 4wd. The MPG differences on SUV's, especially the weight of the Liberty, are not going to be that different on a 2wd vs. a 4wd. Plus, even if you hardly ever use your 4x4, atleast you have it, and you know it's there incase you get into a situation that requires it.

I've used mine maybe 4 or 5 times in the almost 4 years i've had mine....but like I said, i'm glad I know I have it when I need it.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My aunt had a '00 XJ, 4x2. Hated it.

Get the 4x4.

With the 4x2, you MIGHT gain a little bit of mileage... 1MPG or so.

adders

Reaction score
Thanks Marlon and Tim for your perspectives.

I'm not so concerned about miles per gallon - it's more the fact that for the same price as the '06 4WD with 16K miles on it I can get the '06 2WD with only 4K miles driven. Of course I have other options too - but those are the two specific Libertys i've narrowed it down to.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with what Tim said - go with the 4WD. If you are ever planning on getting out on the beaches/sand then 4HI could come in real handy. Of course, there are those who use their t-case just a bit more, but even on snow or in loose conditions the 4WD system will be something you'll be glad you had...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the 4wd. If you ever need it you'll have it. Also it is worth more if it has 4wd at resale. 16,000 miles isn't much. Just my opinion.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Besides, a '06 with that low miles.... kinda scary. Could be a problematic Jeep that someone traded in because of the frustration.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
Buy the 4X4 Libby, that way when you are driving those awesome roads down in Baja Mexico you'll be able to venture further off "the beaten path."
Not only that, but it will have a higher re-sale/trade-in value should you be so inclined to get rid of it.

And besides... A Jeep isn't a Jeep unless it's four wheel drive! =D>

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that in the Baja area, 4x2 Jeep is pronounced 4x2 "HEAP". It's the whole pronounce the J as an H thing that espanol has O:) .

Get the 4x4, then when the offroad bug bites you, you'll be able to do something about it.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get bit by off-roading fun, you would regret having a 4x2. You may not plan to want to hit some tougher trails, but watch out, the bug bites hard. There are plenty of places to explore harder trails if you want. Get with the local KJ clubs down your way.

You could have people let you try some tougher trails in their KJ's to see what you think about 4x4.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Actually, now that I think about it, do you know which 4x4 it has in it? If it has the selec-trac system with the full time 4x4 option, that can be used on dry roads, wet roads....pretty much when ever you want (hence the name) and it can be real handy in the rain. I wish mine had that system...

adders

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input. I am leaning towards the 4WD...

>> do you know which 4x4 it has in it?

No. I need to understand the 4x4 options a bit better. Will do some research thanks...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Probably Command-Trac. Either 4x4 system is good... the only difference is that one you can use on dry pavement and the other... you can't. Since I almost never use Full Time, I consider it a waste of $$$.¢¢. But I had no choice.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 4X2 Libby and wish it was 4x4. I'm forced to take my dads suburban out to the trails, and it really makes me wish I had the jeep.

joeg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for Marlon's comment..............When I bought my Liberty I did alot of searching and found "Many" Liberty's with between 9000 and 15000 miles on them for sale on dealer's lots...Further checking showed that almost all of them were Lease cars from Hertz, etc....................

One other thing....here in Orlando it was tough finding a 4X4.. Some dealers had 19 and more new 06's and 07's that were all 4X2....maybe one 4X4.........