Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountryDirt

Reaction score
Ok, so the Liberty is getting some work done next week. I'm due for new shocks as well, should I just have them put new ones in while I'm getting new tires put on? If yes (which I'm guessing everyone will say yes) what kind should I tell the garage to get? Is that a no no? Telling a garage what brand of something you want? This is a daily driver for the most part, so I'm not lifting it.

Liberty 2003 Sport 3.7

Thanks all!

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youll probably save some. Money by getting them yourself, if you're in the US check rock auto for pricing, also consider doing the rear shock yourself as its much easier than front

CountryDirt

Reaction score
Youll probably save some. Money by getting them yourself, if you're in the US check rock auto for pricing, also consider doing the rear shock yourself as its much easier than front

Thanks RenKJ. I'm just not sure WHAT to buy. I'm nervous about doing this myself as last weekend I tried to change the oil and couldn't even get the drain plug off. :favorites68:

So I have to face facts and realize it's best to have them done by a professional. I just don't know where to start. I haven't owned this Jeep for long (belonged to my late father) and I'm trying to keep it going for a good while more, while learning about the mechanics of it. Even if I can't physically do the work myself I want to understand all of it.

Thanks!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks RenKJ. I'm just not sure WHAT to buy. I'm nervous about doing this myself as last weekend I tried to change the oil and couldn't even get the drain plug off. :favorites68:

So I have to face facts and realize it's best to have them done by a professional. I just don't know where to start. I haven't owned this Jeep for long (belonged to my late father) and I'm trying to keep it going for a good while more, while learning about the mechanics of it. Even if I can't physically do the work myself I want to understand all of it.

Thanks!

Oy don't go to whoever you went to last. The oil plug does NOT need to be that tight.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
First learn how to do your oil, transmission and tcase fluids, all very easy and involve a plug or bolts that should be only lightly torqued

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with no lift and no offroad ventures, I'd go with Monroe Quick Struts in front. The springs are beat to hell also. Rear, Monroe also, see if it needs something to level rear after Q-S are on front.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein makes a nice set for the KJ. Some like the Dakota Monroe load levelers for the rear for added towing capacity/stability. Don't be afraid to think about springs also, OME is definitely the way to go. Ironman springs are also a good option. You may spend a little coin up front but your wallet will thank you later.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The good shocks cost more. OME (old man emu) or Bilsteins.
The problem is that your stock springs have sagged, and really you should do both the shock & springs together at the same time for much better handling & ride.
An alignment has to be done afterwards as well.
Measure form the middle of wheel hub to inside of bottom of wheel well flare, and post back your measurements front/rear. Got a photo of your jeep on level ground?
JBA has stock shocks & springs. Link:Front Struts for KJ

CountryDirt

Reaction score
The good shocks cost more. OME (old man emu) or Bilsteins.
The problem is that your stock springs have sagged, and really you should do both the shock & springs together at the same time for much better handling & ride.
An alignment has to be done afterwards as well.
Measure form the middle of wheel hub to inside of bottom of wheel well flare, and post back your measurements front/rear. Got a photo of your jeep on level ground?
JBA has stock shocks & springs. Link:Front Struts for KJ

Yes, I fully intend to do both shocks and springs. I wasn't clear on that. Will grab a picture and post in a bit. In the meantime, I was looking on the jeepinbyal site just to get familiar with what I'm looking for. Is this it? Sorry for being the annoying newbie!

Front Strut Springs fit KJ, KK & KA with 3.7 L Gas engine, 0-50kg Additional Weight, for 1.50" lift.
Ironman Front Strut

Ironman Rear Coil Springs
Ironman Rear Shocks

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
No those are for the "1.5 inch" lifted. Unless you want to lift it which is all great too!
Look for words STOCK not 1.5 lifted .
Here for instance is the Stock front Bilsteins: Jeep Liberty BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty Front Strut
Edit: You could use "contact us" on the JBA site & shoot JBA (Marlin) a note saying you just want to keep it stock shocks & springs all the way around & get a quote for full OME I believe, and sub in bilstein shocks, if you wanted for a bit cheaper quote from him..just a thought.

Last edited:

CountryDirt

Reaction score
No those are for the "1.5 inch" lifted. Unless you want to lift it which is all great too!
Look for words STOCK not 1.5 lifted .
Here for instance is the Stock front Bilsteins: Jeep Liberty BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty Front Strut
Edit: You could use "contact us" on the JBA site & shoot JBA (Marlin) a note saying you just want to keep it stock shocks & springs all the way around & get a quote for full OME I believe, and sub in bilstein shocks, if you wanted for a bit cheaper quote from him..just a thought.

Ah, ok. Thanks! It's so great to have a group to ask about all this stuff. I will contact him.

Here is a photo of the Jeep now.

Attachments

• IMG_6354.jpg
    IMG_6354.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 25

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Thanks! It's so great to have a group to ask about all this stuff. I will contact him.

Here is a photo of the Jeep now.

Sitting at 18 inches in front currently?
Looks like it from pic

new stock 19

Thats middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All front shocks are the exact same length, except for Ironman which are a bit longer
If anywhere over 55-60,000 miles you need new springs and shocks all around
The Monroe quickies are , well ok, no better than stock were , which means in 50,000 miles or less you're going to be doing it all over again
Upgrade
if you don't want a lift at least go full OME and use the 925 front springs which are rated at 375 lbs compared to the weak stock at 310 lb
rear you could go with the 947s

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Monroe quickies are , well ok, no better than stock were , which means in 50,000 miles or less you're going to be doing it all over again

The good thing is they have a lifetime warranty, so you only pay for one set.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The good thing is they have a lifetime warranty, so you only pay for one set.

Like anything else with a lifetime warranty
I still have to change them out at some point, some things its ok
But then of course like my buddy and his lifetime radiator warranty, after 11 it got real old and went to a better product. ( MOPAR)
BUT with shocks and springs I like a decent ride / good handling which stock or the quickies will never give you

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to do the same on mine. Keeping it stock for now. Money is tight. Rock auto has the Monroe quick struts for 103.00. Gabriel for 118? And moog for 134. Opinions which would be the better of the 3.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly with my 04 (3.7L) i went with montoe quick struts for the CRD. It hasn't sagged in three years.

But then I put OME springs on it to get her up a little bit.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

CountryDirt

Reaction score
Ok I'll entertain lifting but what exactly is involved in a minor lift? How much am I looking at? I would want to do it right but I don't off-road so something that makes sense for a mostly daily driver. And god yes this thing is WAAAAY overdue. I can't find it being done in the records and it has 121K on it!

ps tires will be Michelin M/S2 LTX 235/70R16

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I'll entertain lifting but what exactly is involved in a minor lift? How much am I looking at? I would want to do it right but I don't off-road so something that makes sense for a mostly daily driver. And god yes this thing is WAAAAY overdue. I can't find it being done in the records and it has 121K on it!

ps tires will be Michelin M/S2 LTX 235/70R16

Doesn't matter if you ever off road or not,
upgrading the suspension to OME or Ironman will make it ride and handle better than brand new stock ever did
If you go with my suggestions with the 926/947 you'll get some lift but not 2.5 inches

My DD for the last 11 years has been a 4.5 inch lifted KJ on 32s with 4.10s, Over 198,000 miles lifted

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to do the same on mine. Keeping it stock for now. Money is tight. Rock auto has the Monroe quick struts for 103.00. Gabriel for 118? And moog for 134. Opinions which would be the better of the 3.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Monroe and MOOG are both part of the Federal-Mogul family. (Rancho is also) Want to guess where the MOOG units are built? Gabriel=junk.

Bob