Shock/strut question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i believe its time for some front shock/struts on my 05 jeep liberty...I am searching and i see shock/struts with a coil around them and some that are just the tube. which ones do i need? will either work? ive been hitting bumps in the road incredibly hard and hear a loud crunch over dips in the road kind of sounds like an old bed creaking. Thanks in advance!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So i believe its time for some front shock/struts on my 05 jeep liberty...I am searching and i see shock/struts with a coil around them and some that are just the tube. which ones do i need? will either work? ive been hitting bumps in the road incredibly hard and hear a loud crunch over dips in the road kind of sounds like an old bed creaking. Thanks in advance!

The KJ ( and KK ) have a coil over shock setup, so you need a shock and a coil spring to go over it for the front
Are you lifting or just replacing with stock like suspension?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Also if you would be so kind and give some more info on what year, number of miles etc it would be great
Then measure from middle of the wheel in front to bottom the flare, let us know where you are

jsp86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an 05 100k miles..I think im just going with the stock no lift, its my first jeep so not much experience with them... ill have to get some measurements tomorrow.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It is an 05 100k miles..I think im just going with the stock no lift, its my first jeep so not much experience with them... ill have to get some measurements tomorrow.

You could just go with aftermarket OME springs. Go with the 925 front and 948 rear springs plus new shocks. Stock springs are 310 lb, the 925s are rated at 350, so handling and ride will be much better over all .
Cost is a bit more but would be a great upgrade.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Creaking noises, at least in my experience, usually are a sign of bad bushings. Your springs and shocks are dead too, have been since 30k miles likely so getting some OME stuff in there would really make you love the Jeep.

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said. Invest on OME and you will surely like the ride quality of your rig.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then again, a vehicle that's been exposed to MI salted roads for 10 years, just a pair of Monroe MON 181577L (left) and MON181577R (right) quick Econo struts at approx $115. each would revive the old girl for as long as the rest of her lasts.

Bob

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Then again, a vehicle that's been exposed to MI salted roads for 10 years, just a pair of Monroe MON 181577L (left) and MON181577R (right) quick Econo struts at approx at approx $115. each would revive the old girl for as long as the rest of her lasts.

Bob

Depends on how she was taken care of
If like all of mine hard to find any rust at all anywhere on them
So would be worth a good suspension :shrug: Just my nickle

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure. A good, solid, well maintained vehicle that's been conscientiously flushed after salt exposure, that would probably be a sound investment. For I'd guess, 85%+ of Yankee rigs, probably not.

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure. A good, solid, well maintained vehicle that's been conscientiously flushed after salt exposure, that would probably be a sound investment. For I'd guess, 85%+ of Yankee rigs, probably not.

Bob
Ya salt exposure starts before I even hit the end of the driveway. Wash it before work and I return home white. We need some rain to take away all the salt the state thinks they need.