Shifting FT > PT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple question which may have been answered. I know you can shift on the fly from 2WD to PT or FT, however can I shift on the fly from FT to PT or 2WD? :-s

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
rchung813 said:
I have a simple question which may have been answered. I know you can shift on the fly from 2WD to PT or FT, however can I shift on the fly from FT to PT or 2WD? :-s
Yup, Yup and Yup. \:D/

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FrenchCamp49er said:
I've searched and searched; Whats the best way to shift out of 4LO ?

Owners manual should say, but you should slow down to 2-3mph, shift the transmision to neutral (if you have an automatic, depress the clutch if you have manual). While the vehicle is coasting 2-3mph shift into 4LO, the same to go back out of 4LO. Don't pause the transfer case lever in the neutral position while doing this, it can cause some grinding.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I normally just stop and switch to N and then engage 4lo. It works fine. If it doesn't switch I do R back to D then to N then switch. it works fine that way

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I normally just stop and switch to N and then engage 4lo. It works fine. If it doesn't switch I do R back to D then to N then switch. it works fine that way
That's what I do. It works well.

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
FrenchCamp49er said:
I've searched and searched; Whats the best way to shift out of 4LO ?

Owners manual should say, but you should slow down to 2-3mph, shift the transmision to neutral (if you have an automatic, depress the clutch if you have manual). While the vehicle is coasting 2-3mph shift into 4LO, the same to go back out of 4LO. Don't pause the transfer case lever in the neutral position while doing this, it can cause some grinding.

It can also cause the safety feature thats built in on the tcase to engage and make it hard to get it out of neutral. This safety feature is besically once you're in a particular setting, it takes a bit of effort to get it out....kinda like preventing you from accidentally knocking it out of a particular setting.