SHifter Stuck in park after trans filter changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RexSmith

Reaction score
Yesterday I removed my daughter's 2006 Liberty transmission pan (42RLE auto.) - and changed the filter/ service fluid. After reassembling, and refilling this morning - I cannot get the center console gear selector/shifter to move from the Park position. The Liberty starts just fine, key works just fine - I just cannot move the shift lever out of Park.

Any ideas why servicing the transmission filter would have done this? How can I get it out of park to get it down off my ramps in the driveway? Is there a shift interlock I need to reset or something?

I found this thread (yes - I've used the search feature :emotions34: ) and it references another thread that I've thusfar been unable to find. Any pointers to it?

Rex S.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep fiddling with it and eventually it will come out of park. My 2006 does that about once a year

RexSmith

Reaction score
A quick follow-up. I have NO IDEA what worked. I popped off the shifter cover plate, unplugged the window controls, and started fiddling with the cables, etc. On one of the attempts to shift out of park - it just worked. No idea what I did to make it work. That's my story - and I'm stickin' to it!

I guess "Fiddling with it" is the answer. lol.

Thanks,
R

(and NOW to start looking around for a rebuilt 42RLE transmission to have installed or have this one rebuilt. There were pieces of snap-ring in the drain pan - and the drivetrain/transmission was slipping - which prompted the filter chance to begin with.

Keep fiddling with it and eventually it will come out of park. My 2006 does that about once a year

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just checked, and I was sure there was a little cover to pop off on the shifter body and you could stick a screwdriver/the key in to manually release park.

RexSmith

Reaction score
If there is - it wasn't obvious to me when I looked at it. I'll do some google searches to see if anyone has a pic/video of it.

Wow, I just checked, and I was sure there was a little cover to pop off on the shifter body and you could stick a screwdriver/the key in to manually release park.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is - it wasn't obvious to me when I looked at it. I'll do some google searches to see if anyone has a pic/video of it.

Yeah, it's not there. Apparently, I think I was thinking of an old Mazda pickup someone gave me that I never used and had to use the manual park release to move it, which was under a little cover on the shift assembly. I apologize.

Latest posts

Members online