Shakey Torque Converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_J

Reaction score
I think my friends Jeep is starting to have an issue with the Torque Converter? When we went to back up a hill slowly it was a bit jumpy - it's an auto but it felt like a manual with a slightly warped pressure plate or fly wheel. Later on while on flat ground I tried holding the brake and taking off slowly to see if I could feel the same thing but I couldn't. I did notice when driving ~45 mph or so and I gave it a little fuel it shuddered a bit until I gave it enough pedal to force a downshift. Not sure what gear it was in, maybe 4th?

It's an '08 model with around 18K miles.

Does that sound suspicious to anyone? Suggestions?

It's still under warranty until June I believe, but I'd like to have an idea in case the local Jeep dealer is as responsive as the local GM dealer was with my pickup.

Thanks!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
This is normal actually on KJs and KKs with the 42RLE. Or rather... "They All Do It"

It's due to the fluid pickup being in the front of the transmission. Although I've heard that putting the Jeep in 4LOW makes the "Reverse Uphill Shuddering" issue disappear?

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my friends Jeep is starting to have an issue with the Torque Converter? When we went to back up a hill slowly it was a bit jumpy - it's an auto but it felt like a manual with a slightly warped pressure plate or fly wheel. Later on while on flat ground I tried holding the brake and taking off slowly to see if I could feel the same thing but I couldn't. I did notice when driving ~45 mph or so and I gave it a little fuel it shuddered a bit until I gave it enough pedal to force a downshift. Not sure what gear it was in, maybe 4th?

It's an '08 model with around 18K miles.

Does that sound suspicious to anyone? Suggestions?

It's still under warranty until June I believe, but I'd like to have an idea in case the local Jeep dealer is as responsive as the local GM dealer was with my pickup.

Thanks!

Try to get this TSB done.I had to have the TSB done for shudder on my 08 KK,Here is the tsb:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8...MzgxNDUxOGIzNzBm&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

hollombj

Reaction score
Is it harmful?

I've noticed this shudder in my '10 when backing up my driveway with my small boat, (boat and trailer less than 500lbs.) But not with the vehicle alone. Is this harmful?. Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed this shudder in my '10 when backing up my driveway with my small boat, (boat and trailer less than 500lbs.) But not with the vehicle alone. Is this harmful?. Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

This seems to be a normal with the 42RLE transmission.If you have a shudder going forward,then thats a differant situation.You should have no problem.