sfa the kj

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im 2wd i was thinking starting to gather my parts to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion what are the best parts to run i was thinking dana 44 front and rear with lockers with a 4:1 tcase and fox coil overs where do u get longer driver shafts for the kj thanks guys

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im 2wd i was thinking starting to gather my parts to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion what are the best parts to run i was thinking dana 44 front and rear with lockers with a 4:1 tcase and fox coil overs where do u get longer driver shafts for the kj thanks guys
You know it's going to be very pricy right? Not trying to be a a$$ but there is no cheap way and you being 2wd it will cost even more since you will need more parts.The biggest is the ****** output shaft will need to be replace in your ****** to be able to mate to a t-case.You have to pull the ****** and rip it all apart to change that output shaft,then put the shorter 4wd output shaft in.You also need to get the ****** to t-case adapter,and not to mention the whole shifter assembly.The most budget minded SFA swap down yet still cost $24,000,if you do all the labor then you can save about $8000.I'm doing all my own labor and it's still going to cost me at least $18,000 in parts alone,my buddy USAFCOP is going the cheaper way(I'm also doing all his labor if he is not back from Iraq)and he will still have $10,000 in parts.

As far as driveshafts you can get them from a local driveshaft place or some really good company's are Tom Woods,HighAngle driveline(where I'm getting my shafts from),or JE Reel.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I forgot that since you are 2wd if you convert to 4wd and plan on actually offroading your KJ you do not have the computer programming that turns the airbags off in 4low.I would have been SOL today in MOAB as I slammed my ARB bumber into a rock face at about 10mph(opps:rolleyes:),or the other 2 times I have slammed into rocks very hard with my front bumber.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OORRR he can just find a wrecked libby and pull the ****** along with the computers.
Then the cost of the SFA just went up by about $4000-$5000+,I haven't seen a wrecked KJ that had no chance of drivetrain damage(almost always hinden damage) and less then 80,000miles for less then $4000-$5000.Then you need the PCM and BCM reprogramed with the correct VIN,more $$$$.

You can do it,but is it really worth it?

ripper42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that steeper i was thinking for now just stick to the jeep and then get 4wd cummins

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya that steeper i was thinking for now just stick to the jeep and then get 4wd cummins
Why does everyone get "sticker shock" when they find out how much a SFA swap is for a KJ?

Poeple with TJ's drop the same amount all the time and they don't complain.You could not out fit a TJ for any cheaper then what I'm dishing out for my SFA KJ using the same parts,granted all of there parts are already on the shelf and some of mine have to be custom made.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the sticker shock comes from spending as much on one axle as a new Rubicon JK.
But how much money is it going to be to outfit that JK with ARB's F/R,5.13 gears,Chromoly axles F/R,true high steer,1ton rated driveline,1ton rated tierods and drag links,AtlasII t-case,35" tires,and a 7" long arm lift? Just as much as I'm paying to SFA my KJ and my KJ is already paid off.Also I'll get more attention from my SFA KJ then a "boring" JK.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, those jk's or tj's for that matter are not much in their stock form offroad. Who buys a stock jeep to take offroad anyway?:rolleyes:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But how much money is it going to be to outfit that JK with ARB's F/R,5.13 gears,Chromoly axles F/R,true high steer,1ton rated driveline,1ton rated tierods and drag links,AtlasII t-case,35" tires,and a 7" long arm lift? Just as much as I'm paying to SFA my KJ and my KJ is already paid off.Also I'll get more attention from my SFA KJ then a "boring" JK.

The average person won't go quite that far. Typically, I see a moderate lift, bigger tires, and lockers. This type of set up works for most people and what they do. These are the type of people shocked by this price a SFA.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I lived someplace like Colorado Springs, I'd be more likely to do it, but as it stands, I have to drive on road for at least 3 hours to get to an approved area to off road... therefore spending $20-30 large on a hobby I can only participate in 4 maybe 5 times a year seems unwise for me.sad2.gif