Service Contracts After 100,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulaI12

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 3.7 liter enging. I'm trying to find a service contract that will help with electrical, engine etc for a long while. Does anybody know of a good company? I'm at 95k and worrying that my car is going to all of a sudden fall apart. Thanks for listening.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep calling it a Car and that will be your first sign of problems for Jeeps dont like to be refered to as cars. :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think I'd be worried. As long as you keep up on maintenance, these KJ's last way over 95k.

I understand that there's not much in the way of electrical....but I don't think it's a lot to worry about, KJ's are pretty good in that regard as well.

Welcome to the site btw.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Never really understood why 100,000 miles was some magic number people think vehicles start to fall apart.

If it was going to fall apart at 100,000 miles it would have already started to fall apart at 75k miles.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never really understood why 100,000 miles was some magic number people think vehicles start to fall apart.

If it was going to fall apart at 100,000 miles it would have already started to fall apart at 75k miles.

TBJ...it's a syndrom effecting many of us who owned vehicles made in the 60's, 70's and early 80's before the big three latched onto the whole leasing thing and had to start making vehicles that lasted past 100,000 miles....

I remember when 50,000 miles was considered old and worn out beyond repair.....;)

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Maybe he's worried about it falling apart at 125,000 miles.

But to the OP: I'm a strong opponent of extended service contracts. They're very much like gambling. You buy one hoping (or expecting) your vehicle to break within the timeframe of the contract, they sell you one on the statistical probability that your vehicle won't. And they tweak the odds in the house's favor by limiting what they'll cover.

This is where I strongly recommend self-insuring. If you have $2500 in your pocket ready to spend on an extended warranty, put the $2500 in a savings account and call that your "Jeep repair fund".

If by the time you sell your jeep nothing has gone wrong with it, you have $2500 in your pocket. If it does, then you have up to $2500 in cash to fix whatever went wrong with $0 deductible, and it's guaranteed to be covered, unlike your extended service contract.

The only time an extended service contract like that pays off is in catastrophic failures, such as when your engine grenades and it's going to cost you $4500 to replace. These scenarios are rare and the extended warranty company knows that. In that case, you'll probably still have a deductible. If you have a Jeep Fund for $2500, at least the first $2500 will be covered thus easing the pain considerably.

Best part: Your Jeep repair fund never expires.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

But to the OP: I'm a strong opponent of extended service contracts. They're very much like gambling. You buy one hoping (or expecting) your vehicle to break within the timeframe of the contract, they sell you one on the statistical probability that your vehicle won't. And they tweak the odds in the house's favor by limiting what they'll cover.

This is where I strongly recommend self-insuring. If you have $2500 in your pocket ready to spend on an extended warranty, put the $2500 in a savings account and call that your "Jeep repair fund".

If by the time you sell your jeep nothing has gone wrong with it, you have $2500 in your pocket. If it does, then you have up to $2500 in cash to fix whatever went wrong with $0 deductible, and it's guaranteed to be covered, unlike your extended service contract.

The only time an extended service contract like that pays off is in catastrophic failures, such as when your engine grenades and it's going to cost you $4500 to replace. These scenarios are rare and the extended warranty company knows that. In that case, you'll probably still have a deductible. If you have a Jeep Fund for $2500, at least the first $2500 will be covered thus easing the pain considerably.

I agree with jnaut.

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
TBJ...it's a syndrom effecting many of us who owned vehicles made in the 60's, 70's and early 80's before the big three latched onto the whole leasing thing and had to start making vehicles that lasted past 100,000 miles....

I remember when 50,000 miles was considered old and worn out beyond repair.....;)

Fair enough, surf :)

ThunderbirdJunkie has only owned one vehicle that showed less than 100k miles on the odometer, and that's because it was a '66 Buick with a 5 digit odo (rotflmao)

And THAT MFer WAS worn out beyond repair

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Also agree.
Just keep on maintenance and you should be good to go :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most aftermarket warranty's(and even OEM ones) do not cover many items that will cause issues after 100k,like gaskets and such.

Waste of money,like stated just keep the money in a account for major failures.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've declined a Chrysler extended warranty on the KJ, I have faith in it. Knock on wood.

But the LR...it will get an extended warranty, mainly due to the air suspension....

mjs020293

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy a sub 4-year 48,000 Jeep they offer a life time warranty for $2,400. That is a tempting deal if you intend running it into the ground.

Other than that I would just bank the money and gamble on it TBH.

SMETNA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy a sub 4-year 48,000 Jeep they offer a life time warranty for $2,400.

That's what I did. It was $2000, for a lifetime powertrain warranty with a $0 deductible. I'm already using it to get the rear diff fixed for whining. I plan on keep this vehicle until 2020 or longer. (Even though we only have 2 more years until armageddon ;) )

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If you buy a sub 4-year 48,000 Jeep they offer a life time warranty for $2,400. That is a tempting deal if you intend running it into the ground.

Other than that I would just bank the money and gamble on it TBH.

For another $400 it covers everything....the aircon, the crappy windows etc

This is relevant to ThunderbirdJunkie's interests....