Serious rubbing / noises off-roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went off-roading with the lifted KJ this weekend and it was a blast! This little Jeep can tackle some serious climbs and trails.

Unfortunately I discovered some issues off-roading - mainly a wide variety of annoying noises: (doesn't happen on-road)

1. On every bump and stone loud metal to metal thuds and grinds, horrible - 99.9% thats front stock UCAs are in contact with spring on every droop - can clearly see the marks on the spring - the JBA UCAs will def fix that, right?
  2. After a while a faint "ringing" noise started every wheel turn - seems like the UCAs bushing are/got shot (there's a visible crack in the rubber) - makes sense it'll make this 'ting ting' noise per turn of a wheel? New UCAs should solve that too hopefully (new bushings). Other culprits also possible?
  3. Weirdest - I installed the Y-link extension in rear and at full compression the rear right wheel was rubbing against the exhaust!! (or was it the rear UCA/driveshaft?! no idea) BAAADD noise/vibration! Unsure if its related to the Y-link ext/my 1.5" wheel spacers/something else. Whats the solution to that? What should I check?

Some inspiration pics from this fun weekend - for attention:
You must be registered for see images attach

Exhaust rub! Bad!!

I can also take some additional photos of the suspension/under the Jeep for tracing the issues. Good KJ peeps your professional feedback/advice much appreciated!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah JBA UCA's,correct BS wheels and some other mods help when flexing offroad.You will have noises regardless with IFS,your not getting away from every and all noises.

Heck even with my SFA I get noises but mainly from the rear coils reseating themselves after max rear articulation since I still have not found longer rear coils that give me the correct lift,spring rate,and diameter for the KJ so heavy short coils and noise for now.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
#1, I think that sounds like a plan
#2, doubt it, but you'll be putting in UCAs anyway for #1 so wait and see. Is it correlated with wheel speed? Or just a ping when you begin a turn?
#3. I think twobobsKJ on here had a similar issue, could do a search for his threads.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
went off-roading with the lifted kj this weekend and it was a blast! This little jeep can tackle some serious climbs and trails.

Unfortunately i discovered some issues off-roading - mainly a wide variety of annoying noises: (doesn't happen on-road)

1. on every bump and stone loud metal to metal thuds and grinds, horrible - 99.9% thats front stock ucas are in contact with spring on every droop - can clearly see the marks on the spring - the jba ucas will def fix that, right? yes the jba ucas will take care of that , well unless you go up over 3.5-3.75 inches
  2. after a while a faint "ringing" noise started every wheel turn - seems like the ucas bushing are/got shot (there's a visible crack in the rubber) - makes sense it'll make this 'ting ting' noise per turn of a wheel? New ucas should solve that too hopefully (new bushings). Other culprits also possible? could be other things as well , such as sway bar bushings/ even rear cv on the front driveshaft possibly
  3. weirdest - i installed the y-link extension in rear and at full compression the rear right wheel was rubbing against the exhaust!! (or was it the rear uca/driveshaft?! No idea) baaadd noise/vibration! more than likely the muffler if you still have stock exhaust , been cases where that happens unsure if its related to the y-link ext/my 1.5" wheel spacers/something else. Whats the solution to that? What should i check? how much bumpstop are you running in the rear ?

i can also take some additional photos of the suspension/under the jeep for tracing the issues. Good kj peeps your professional feedback/advice much appreciated!

some suggestions/ thoughts

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#2, doubt it, but you'll be putting in UCAs anyway for #1 so wait and see. Is it correlated with wheel speed? Or just a ping when you begin a turn?
#3. I think twobobsKJ on here had a similar issue, could do a search for his threads.

Thanks for the reply!
#2 - it was correlated to wheel speed indeed, cannot be reproduced on road though.
#3 - I'll look for it, remember the thread name maybe?

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on every bump and stone loud metal to metal thuds and grinds, horrible - 99.9% thats front stock ucas are in contact with spring on every droop - can clearly see the marks on the spring - the jba ucas will def fix that, right? yes the jba ucas will take care of that , well unless you go up over 3.5-3.75 inches
after a while a faint "ringing" noise started every wheel turn - seems like the ucas bushing are/got shot (there's a visible crack in the rubber) - makes sense it'll make this 'ting ting' noise per turn of a wheel? New ucas should solve that too hopefully (new bushings). Other culprits also possible? could be other things as well , such as sway bar bushings/ even rear cv on the front driveshaft possibly
weirdest - i installed the y-link extension in rear and at full compression the rear right wheel was rubbing against the exhaust!! (or was it the rear uca/driveshaft?! No idea) baaadd noise/vibration! more than likely the muffler if you still have stock exhaust , been cases where that happens unsure if its related to the y-link ext/my 1.5" wheel spacers/something else. Whats the solution to that? What should i check? how much bumpstop are you running in the rear ?

some suggestions/ thoughts

Thanks Tom for the the reply.
#1/#2:
I am at 22" all around so I'm at 3" I guess. After JBA UCAs I'll add 1-2 conduit nuts to get extra 0.3-0.5" in front. Sway bar bushings have been replaced recently, "rear cv on the front driveshaft possibly" - that's scary. Can you explain what you mean and how to check it?

#3:
I am running two hockey pucks bolted to bottom in the rear.. not enough?
Pretty sure its the muffler indeed.. maybe the rear UCA touching it? couldn't tell for sure.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For #3, check if the inner fender is rubbing against the exhaust pipe. This started happening with my (stock) KJ a couple of weeks ago, it sounded like the differential was about to explode or something. Took me a while to track down what it really was. I think the rubber on the exhaust hangers just may be worn out.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For #2 also check the dust shield on the front brakes. Could be bent or have something caught in there.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have all coil Spring Isolators installed?

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For #2 also check the dust shield on the front brakes. Could be bent or have something caught in there.

Absolutely! A nasty sound happened to me when a small rock was caught in the dust shield

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep, I'm still running the stock muffler at 210,000 miles (!) and when the right rear wheel is stuffed the rear u-joint hits the muffler. A lovely sound that ensures you're awake :happy175:

As for #'s 1 and 2 - JBA control arms are your friend :waytogo:

Bob

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm still running the stock muffler at 210,000 miles (!) and when the right rear wheel is stuffed the rear u-joint hits the muffler. A lovely sound that ensures you're awake :happy175:

As for #'s 1 and 2 - JBA control arms are your friend :waytogo:

Bob

JBA a-arms are in the mail. Hopefully installation won't be a pain.

Bob - there's no solution to the muffler rubbing? Something with the heat shield maybe? Which wheels do you have?

J33- I do have all isolators installed. Rear is even 3x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
JBA a-arms are in the mail. Hopefully installation won't be a pain.

Bob - there's no solution to the muffler rubbing? Something with the heat shield maybe? Which wheels do you have?

J33- I do have all isolators installed. Rear is even 3x

Yes there is a fix, different shorter muffler and add on to the rear of it to the tailpipe
I never had any issues on the 04, but then I replaced the stock muffler before it had 1000 miles on it
On the 03 yes it hits every now and again
Bob has the Moabs like a lot of us
like these

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, listen to Tom. I just haven't bothered replacing my muffler cuz too many other mods that give greater functional or fun improvements than a muffler - just not sexy enough for me I guess...

That said, a nice growl while driving would be good to have and would eliminate that embarrassing noise when the rear wheel is stuffed - but I just tell people who notice the noise that my KJ has extra special 'character' :happy175:

Hell, Wrangler owners I'm following up the trail are usually too stunned that I'm keeping up to notice the noise anyway :gr_grin:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, listen to Tom. I just haven't bothered replacing my muffler cuz too many other mods that give greater functional or fun improvements than a muffler - just not sexy enough for me I guess...

That said, a nice growl while driving would be good to have and would eliminate that embarrassing noise when the rear wheel is stuffed - but I just tell people who notice the noise that my KJ has extra special 'character' :happy175:

Hell, Wrangler owners I'm following up the trail are usually too stunned that I'm keeping up to notice the noise anyway :gr_grin:

Bob

Extra special character , just like it's owner !!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^"extra special character"...........LOL

(gotta remember that one...)

Dave

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

I'm not against growl but it seemed like my muffler was about to get ripped out when I had this steep angle to the right. Scary.

Tom can you post a link to the muffler upgrade you mentioned?