secondary timing chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the plated links need to be lined up on the secondary timing chains with dots as long as V6 on cams are at 12 o'clock and everything below is lined up properly per FSM with #1 at TDC? Thanks in advance.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just lined up all the timing marks. I actually couldn't find the "plated" links on my chains when I did the HGs last spring. I've seen images since then so probably could now but as long as the timing marks are on all should be okay and has been for me after about 6k miles.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just lined up all the timing marks. I actually couldn't find the "plated" links on my chains when I did the HGs last spring. I've seen images since then so probably could now but as long as the timing marks are on all should be okay and has been for me after about 6k miles.

Thanks for the reply!!
Finally got it this go around.
I used the cable tie trick and worked flawlessly. All plated links and timing marks aligned. I wanted to align the plated links for peace of mind even though I know it didn't mean jack cause it would take alot of cranks to get the plated links to line up at the cams. I turned engine over roughly 25 times to confirm timing and the plated link never lined back up on dots at cams. I then turned engine roughly again 25 times in opposite direction and marks lined back up. I didn't see that in the fsm... :whip:
I even reset timing a second time thinking it jumped, but it was correct, just would take countless revolutions in same direction to get those links to line back up with dots. The chain is just a chain, but the plated links do indeed help with confirming timing.

Last edited: