Seafoam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lil black liberty

Okay guys I bought some of this legendary stuff but the instructions on the can are confusing me.. What are your best recommendations for using this stuff? I'd like to hear from those who have used it before.. :D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do the fuel tank bit with Seafoam. As for crank case stuff I use either Amsoil engine oil flush or Lubro Moly engine flush prior to my oil changes.

L

lil black liberty

I do the fuel tank bit with Seafoam. As for crank case stuff I use either Amsoil engine oil flush or Lubro Moly engine flush prior to my oil changes.

Okay I'll keep that in mind on the Amsoil Engine Oil Flush may look into that.. anybody use this in the intake like it says?

Midgear

Reaction score
edit: I realize this method uses an entire can, but the seafoam did it's job and that's all I care about.

I dumped an entire can into my intake just a few days ago.. it chokes and dies. try to keep it running (have someone else help you, one pours, one keeps the engine from stalling in the drivers seat) let it sit there for 5-10 minutes and fire it back up. BASK IN THE SMOKE, take pictures, laugh ect ect. if it starts misfiring, unplug the battery for 10 minutes and plug it back in.

my check engine light was flashing at me when I started back up (it takes a while to fire back up, and it will misfire somewhere) .. just give it a few thousand RPM's and watch the smoke fly.

if you have problems, call me lol.

DO NOT dump any seafoam into the intake if it stalls.. only pour while the engine is running. my cousin bent 14 out of 16 valves on his daihatsu charade (think honda civic) and he had to have it rebuilt. apparently liquid doesn't compress like air does.. go figure.

for those of you who can't detect that sarcasm.. get out moar.

edit: heres the steps you take-- (IF you decide to go with the throttle body method)

1. remove your little air box thingy right at the throttle body, it says "3.7L POWER TECH on it. (your throttle plate is right behind this box)

2. start the engine (make sure it's warmed up)

3. with someone in the drivers seat ready to give it some throttle, start to pour in the seafoam (the intake will suck it in, so don't worry about spilling)

4. as you pour and the fluid reaches the cylinders, it'll begin to stumble and choke (give it some gas!)

5. the more it chokes, the more you pour.. you're likely to have to put the pedal almost to the floor to keep it running

6. after the can is empty, release the gas pedal, if it doesn't die on its own, turn it off

7. sit around for 5-10 minutes and prepare to choke on smoke.. you can reconnect your air-box during this time

8. start the engine (it takes several seconds, but it'll start. try giving it little taps of the throttle to get some spark)

9. once its started, try to let it idle for about 10-15 seconds to recooperate

10. rev it up to about 3-4500 RPM's, letting off as you reach said RPM's, and revving again to get the seafoam out of the intake, into the cylinders, and out the exhaust. If it begins to misfire or the check engine light starts flashing and it's running extremely rough, let it idle for about 1 minute as it expels some of the seafoam (you're literally flooding your engine.. it'll come back to life) turn it off, disconnect the battery FOR 10 MINUTES, if you're really worried, you can pull the spark plugs out and make sure they're dry.. but they'll dry on their own after sitting for a few minutes. re-connect the battery, fire it back up, it should be running normal. if not, let it dry out more.. if it still refuses to fire, you may need new spark plugs. mine fired right back up and ran like normal.

11. watch in amusement (or in horror) as your KJ smokes like an old fashion freight train

Last edited:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
why not just open the intake and rev it by hand under the hood you can do that!! :D

Midgear

Reaction score
furthermore.. the key here is to not be afraid to give the engine some RPM's. if your engine explodes at 3-5k RPM.. then there was something catastrophically wrong with it in the first place. that's what the rev limiter is for. Keeps you and your engine from going overboard. anything below redline is considered "safe"

and no I'm not saying run around revvin your shit all the time making ruckus and crap.. but the occassional 4-5k even 6k RPM shouldn't destroy your engine. especially in this situation. and if it does.. it was time for a rebuild anyways.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Better way than the above is to pull the vac. line that goes to the brake booster,
Pour 1/2 can into another container ,
start KJ up and put the hose down into the container.
Rev the engine some and suck the container dry stalling it in the process.
Let sit 10/15 minutes then restart.
After it blows some smoke next thing to do is R&R the spark plugs.
Then all done.
Pour the rest of the can in the gas tank
The above method is using too much and not needed, plus no need to have someone sitting reving it up.

Midgear

Reaction score
why not just open the intake and rev it by hand under the hood you can do that!! :D

makes it easier with two people. also, the person in the driver seat can shut the engine off when the can becomes empty. you dont want it to stall in the middle of you pouring, only to have to go try and get it started, pour again, stall, blah blah.

easier with two folks.

Midgear

Reaction score
The above method is using too much and not needed, plus no need to have someone sitting reving it up.

it sounds like alot of work but from start to complete finish it took (not including the sit around and wait time) about 2 minutes.

I didn't wanna mess with any of my hoses and crap.. so I just loosened one screw, two bolts, started the engine, dumped it in, stalled, put back together, waited, started, smoked, laughed, drove around getting funny looks, enjoyed the lack of ticking from the engine bay and smoother idle.

I figure the more you get in there, the more it cleans lol.. it did it's job and the way I did it works. I don't care how you do it, just mentioning how I did it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Less work than your way, nothing to unscrew or remove really just pull the hose off, instead of just dumping
But then I have only used the stuff for ten years or so and maybe 75 vehicles

Midgear

Reaction score
I've used it on two. I like the direct straightforward approach. if you don't, that's good.

"But then I have only used the stuff for ten years or so and maybe 75 vehicles. "

absolutely irrelevant... its liquid in a damn bottle, whoms only purpose is to make it to your cylinders and do its thing.. if it's taken you 10+ years to perfect your little ritual.. dayum, and that's all I have to say about that. it doesn't matter how it gets there. if you wanna do it through a little vaccuum hose, woot! If you wanna dump it straight into the throttle body.. woot! if you're weary and sceptical.. who cares!

everyone has their own opinion. you don't gotta make someone feel like shit just because you don't like the way they did something.

Midgear

Reaction score
I'm just defending myself here.. from someone who obviously gets off at making everyone elses ideas / strategys look stupid.

Last edited:
L

lil black liberty

Well see this is what I was afraid of, I am afraid of dumping it directly into the throttle body because I was afraid of the engine screwing up, I don't have the money nor the means to fix that **** if it happened. So honestly I have one person for the direct throttle body response and one for vacuum line.. Any others wanna give some insight into this please and thank you...

Also everyone has different methods so any and all would help! Don't criticize someone else's methods just because you have a set standard which works for you, as I once heard on here before, What works for you may not work for everybody! Isn't that right TBJ?!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just defending myself here.. from someone who obviously gets off at making everyone elses ideas / strategys look stupid.

Its ok...like you said ppl have different ways of looking and doing things...

Midgear

Reaction score
the "safe" way, would be like tommudd described.

and you can't screw your engine up doing this.. it either cleans the engine, or it does nothing. the more it smokes, the more it's cleaning.

MY way however, gets alot of the seafoam into the engine.. saturating it. I feel it cleans better that way, even though my way is a bit more clumsy and ******** according to tom.. it did it's job. And I don't mind the extra work.

The only thing that can go wrong with directly into the throttle body approach, is you can possibly soak a spark plug, but it dries out. And if you dump alot of it in there while the engine isn't even running, say bye to your valves.

my way or toms, it's gonna clean your engine. but I feel my way cleans better.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. remove your little air box thingy right at the throttle body (exposing the throttle plate)

Whoa, whoa whoa... this is getting waaaaay too technical here. Let's dumb it down a little. Airbox thingy? Enough with the technical jargon, bring it down to real-people level!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the vacuum line method... Drop the line into the can, prop it into place somewhere, a friend of mine even took a seafoam container lid and put a barbed hose fitting in it and then he has this hook and large rubber band to hold it to the can, hangs it from the hood or anywhere that it works and hooks up a vacuum line to it, takes pocket knife and puts small hole in bottom or side of can above fluid level when the can is upside down, gets in, starts up, plays with throttle until can is empty and then shuts it off and lets it sit.

When the can gets empty you can hear the vacuum whistling through that hole.

Get out, remove can and put on workbench shelf for next use, reconnect vacuum line, clean up... By then its time to start and choke on smoke. Once it stops smoking replace spark plugs.

I don't like the dump into the throttle body method, and i'm not going to say thats bad or anything as plenty of people do it no problem, just have to be careful doing it. I also saw an engine get hydro locked from seafoam, it was a little 4cyl and they dumped it in too fast and the engine died but the dude dumped the rest in... Cranked the engine over and broke stuff... The main thing is if you do go overboard just pull the spark plugs and bump start it a few times, tapping the key so you only crank it over a small amount at a time to blow the excess out of the plug holes.

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
Whoa, whoa whoa... this is getting waaaaay too technical here. Let's dumb it down a little. Airbox thingy? Enough with the technical jargon, bring it down to real-people level!

if you're being serious.. it's the little black box that says "3.7L" on it. sits right on top of the intake manifold.

if that was sarcasm, then HAH. I got a chuckle out of it.