Seafoam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on running some seafoam through the vacuum line. Which end do I put the seafoam into. To the brake booster or to the TB? Also, I was going to do an oil change, and run the other half can of seafoam into the crankcase, is it better to wait to do an oil change or do it right away?

Thanks. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you film the seafoam? I heard it makes a big messy black smoke then it clears. I am just wondering what it looks like, if it is as bad..

I think Blake just did it, so he can answer your question

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you film the seafoam? I heard it makes a big messy black smoke then it clears. I am just wondering what it looks like, if it is as bad..

I think Blake just did it, so he can answer your question

I was planning on doing just that! My camera is charging right now. :cool:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have alot of build up it will make a huge WHITE smoke cloud when you restart the engine.

It works out best to slowly suck around half the can in the engine while keeping it running.. When you have around half the can in, suck in alot and kill the engine then let it sit for 10min or so.. It may be alittle hard to start and may spit and spudder but it should idle smooth after a few min. You may need to give it alittle has to keep it running..

If you run it in the oil, do it before the oil change. Run it for alittle while(200 miles or so), then change the oil. If its time to change the spark plugs then do that after you suck the seafoam in.

Ive heard some people like to suck it through the brake booster line and some like to pour it into the TB or use another vacuum line. I like the brake booster line..

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't record the beginning, I thought it was gonna be like tutorial video.
It's OK. :) Waiting..

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started it up after 25-30 minutes. I had to gas it a bit to get it to fire up. But no smoke. Only put about 1/4 can because that how much it took to stall the engine. I put directly into the TB throat. The idle went down about 100 rpms from this morning before the seafoam. What went wrong?

Paine

Reaction score
Seafoam Suppliers

Anyone know who supplies North of the border?

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You made it sound like it was a retail store or something. I saw it on Amazon.com for $5.99.

Can we get back to my issue here, why didn't I get any smoke???

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Santa Clause needs this stuff yearly. :) So there's gotta be someone carrying this.
For local dealers just e-mail them and they can tell you where to get it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it didnt smoke then most likely you didnt need it. If you do get a bunch of smoke then your intake/pistons/engine wasn't dirty.. Be happy. :)

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I tried sucking the Seafoam through the brake booster. That didn't work too well because my funnel tip was too big. I'm thinking whatever amount (very little) went into my brake booster make my brakes are squeaky. I'm thinking of try this again tomorrow (through the TB throat again). If I remember correctly, Phil tried this method and he said he didn't get much smoke. I opened my TB, WOT (with engine off) and it seemed very black, is that normal?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You made it sound like it was a retail store or something. I saw it on Amazon.com for $5.99.

Can we get back to my issue here, why didn't I get any smoke???

I used the GM top end cleaner in my Prix before (basically the same as seafoam) and I got next to no smoke either. I figured with the design of the 3800 intake, it pooled up and didn't go down the runners, but maybe it didn't.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Havent done the seafoam through the engine yet, but i've run it through the gas tank with good results.

One word of caution to those who might also be considering it....it can (as mentioned) foul out your spark plugs, and it can also reek havoc with o2 sensors.