satellite radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how much it costs to install satellite radio in a Libby?

I’m too lazy to look it up.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever Chrysler wants would be too much.
I know if I was wanting to upgrade anything over the stock cd Chrysler unit, I would look to the after market, local auto stereo store.
I would consider something with a USB input directly in front of unit (faceplate removable) and also consider a speaker upgrade.
Even a Sat radio/ DVD/GPS screen with back up camera is available.

paullgj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Satellite radio installation at Best Buy

" Does anybody know how much it costs to install satellite radio in a Libby"?

Here's what Best Buy told me when I inquired about satellite radio. Receiver - $60.00-160.00 depending on unit. Some sort of FM modulator that splices into the antenna line behind the glovebox - $45.00, then their installation charge - $60.00. We're looking at $165.00 minimum plus connection fees or whatever from Sirius.

R

RoyalDudeness

Sirius is running a special on their reconditioned portable S50 unit - at twenty-five bucks with subscription for current subscribers - may be a little more for new, ya may want to click on over and check out the scene.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
The S50 is a serious pile o' crap and is no longer supported for software upgrades or system changes. There is a reason that they have a plentiful supply of that thing even though it was discontinued years ago. Even its replacement, the stiletto, is problematic.

Check the SiriusXM website often. They used to run installation rebates.

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and use pandora amongst others things. I don't know how satellite can charge so much for so little.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd rather get an iPod connector....my music, whatever I want, whenever....but if you don't have an iPod or MP3 player, I guess Satellite radio is cool.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" Does anybody know how much it costs to install satellite radio in a Libby"?

Here's what Best Buy told me when I inquired about satellite radio. Receiver - $60.00-160.00 depending on unit. Some sort of FM modulator that splices into the antenna line behind the glovebox - $45.00, then their installation charge - $60.00. We're looking at $165.00 minimum plus connection fees or whatever from Sirius.

Don't listen to bestbuy. The FM relay doesn't splice into the antenna. It uses connectors and cost only $20 and about $10 so buy the connector adapters to connect to the factory stereo. To install it. It's 3 screws and the stereo is out and you plug it in and put the stereo back in. In 10 minutes, the Job is done. i bought a sirius radio kit for $40 and an addition docking kit for my work van for about $30.
i spent around $70-$80 for the radio kit and an additional docking station kit. I use www.tssradio.com They got a lot of good deals there and are always cheaper than Best buy even when tss radio isn't having a sale. They also got free shipping about $50 orders all the time i think. The FM relay and antenna adapters are not included in the number above b/c they we're already installed on my factory Radio b/c i was replacing a sirius radio.

so over all i spend about $110 to equip two Vehicles with Sat. Radio. So tell bestbuy they can take there $165 est and shove it lol :)

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Sirius Stiletto 2 portable radio for Christmas...you can get a vehicle docking kit for it as well. It certainly isn't cheap, but it's really worth it, since not only can you listen to it in the car, but anywhere else as well =]

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather get an iPod connector....my music, whatever I want, whenever....but if you don't have an iPod or MP3 player, I guess Satellite radio is cool.

X2... I have an Ipod2Car interface in my KJ, works like a charm and no monthly fee...

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2... I have an Ipod2Car interface in my KJ, works like a charm and no monthly fee...

what is this ipod2car interface, i have the stock cd player in and would love to be able to play my ipod without having to shell out 250+ dollars for a new system, lol i would even love to find a stock cassette player for my libby, that way i could use the cassette adapter for my ipod or satellite, thats what i do in my work vehicle, some low tech is still good tech for me lol

S1Loki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dumped the original radio in my '06 and replaced it with a pretty decent Alpine unit. Just happens to have a built in Ipod interface. Also added the sat radio(xm) interface while I was at it.

The Ipod sits next to me on the console. The sat rcvr sits in the console glove box. Both are controlled via the head unit. The head unit also has a bluetooth audio in function.

Now all I need to do is add the steering wheel controls.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is this ipod2car interface, i have the stock cd player in and would love to be able to play my ipod without having to shell out 250+ dollars for a new system, lol i would even love to find a stock cassette player for my libby, that way i could use the cassette adapter for my ipod or satellite, thats what i do in my work vehicle, some low tech is still good tech for me lol

Its a box that you plug into the cd changer input on the back of the stock head unit, then off that you get a ipod dock cable that you can plug your ipod into, it even charges the ipod, then all you have to do is tap the mode button on the stereo to change over to the ipod, your steering wheel controls even control the ipod, its pretty sweet.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products.aspx

I got mine off ebay for $50, there is some new and used ones on ebay for a lot less just have to search a bit. You can also get them as auxiliary interface that will plug into anything with a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack or even left and right channel RCA plugs.