Rusty's Group Buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the lift on Sunday (3-10-07) night got confirmation on Monday (3-12-07) and received it today (3-15-07). Super fast service BAM!

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone that received their kit tried the metal strut collar inside your front coil? I was at a 4WD shop this afternoon and the manager wanted to see the kit before commiting to install it. When we put the collar inside the spring there was ALOT of side to side play between the collar and the spring. He said that was definately not kosher. He said (and it makes sense) that there should little if any play. I've posted in the "lifts" section in the hopes someone can explain what's going on. Thoughts? (Aeh)

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, talkin' bout' the metal "collar". I'll check out the site info you sent me. Thanks.......

P.S. Checked out the link you sent me and there is no mention of the new "collars". Looks like he used the stock setup, but I can't tell.

bgjeep

Reaction score
ok i know what you are talking about. I think the side to side play will be eliminated when the spring is compressed. It shouldnt allow the collar to move.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bgjeep said:
ok i know what you are talking about. I think the side to side play will be eliminated when the spring is compressed. It shouldnt allow the collar to move.

Are you saying just by virtue of the pressure against the collar will keep it from moving? I think any good lateral shock would knock it off center. I'm not getting that warm fuzzy feeling yet. Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems all is well. Check my posts in the "lift" section of the forum. Sorry for spookin' you guys. My blood pressure peaked a couple hours ago! [-o<

bgjeep

Reaction score
hmm thats interesting. didn't even think of reusing that piece.

on another note. Are the front struts OME? They look it, put the rusty's sticker is over where it would say OME, i can't feel any indented writing under there.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part # on the box is the same as an OME front strut part #. Hmmm.............methinks the theory is true.

bgjeep

Reaction score
sgoat said:
The part # on the box is the same as an OME front strut part #. Hmmm.............methinks the theory is true.

you're right. just checked the boulderbars website and it is the OME strut. wow so we got OME struts and shocks..not bad!!! =D> Rustys site says the front struts are "a pair of Rusty's performance long travel gas struts" AllJ is selling the struts for 125 each. The frankenlift comes with rancho struts. We may have begun dipping into conspiracy theroy stuff. :-s

we got a pretty good thread going here goat. haha

Griz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my kit Thursday, guess what I am doing Saturday. Sorry there are no instructions for the KJ Suspension kit on Rusty's site. That will be something I'll write up and get posted on my site and send to Rusty.

Yes, you will reuse isolators from your factory struts, this is true for any coil lift kits, XJ, TJ, WJ's and KJ's.

As some of you have discovered the struts are made by OME and are long travel, the OME rear shocks are not the long travel shocks that ALLJ sells, but like I said before you don't really need them.

The picture in the "LIFT Discussion Forum" shows some rubber bushings in a blister pack for the rear shocks, if you ordered the OME shocks you get the bushings already installed in the shocks.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kit installed.............Wow! See my post in the lifts section under "Rusty's 2.5" coil lift. Urgent!". Thanks Griz for putting this all together! =D>

You must be registered for see images

Griz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I installed it today, I am uploading pictures right now. Here's some pictures:

Before and after Front

Before and after Side View

I used the tape on the feneders to measure the amount of lift before and after. Measurements showed 3" front and 2 7/8" rear. I'm sure that after about a month they will settle so that there is 2.5" of lift. Now it is going to the alignment shop on Monday. Test rides feel just like the factory ride, but you can sure tell a difference getting in and out.

The tires are 245/70R/16 BFG A/T's on 16x8 Moabs from a Rubicon.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sgoat said:
Kit installed.............Wow! See my post in the lifts section under "Rusty's 2.5" coil lift. Urgent!". Thanks Griz for putting this all together! =D>

Wow... you got some serious hight on there... is that strictly the parts that came with the lift? or did you add some spacers to the rear and a clevis lift?

Are those 235s? That really looks good... My lift has arrived but I can't pick it up till Mondayish... Time to start looking for an installer...