Rusty's Coil Lift and the rear shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Dkhaki

Reaction score
I've heard that the rear shocks in the Rusty's full suspension kit suck. My problem is that I don't want to spend the money or really have it to spend to upgrade the rear shocks at this current time. I do very little off-roading as of now, but would like to do it more if I had the time. So for now, the kit is many for looks and being able to run 245/75/16s with Moab wheels. Is this something I can upgrade later or should I do it immediately? Thanks for the input. My lift comes tomorrow so I hope to have it installed soon, but was just wondering about this question. Thanks.

Jason

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with the shocks is well they are the wrong shocks, BUT knowing that you must put several flat washers in between the mounting points and the shock plus tighten it down a LOT!! I have installed 2 Rustys lifts for others and both I tightened the H out of them and so far they are OK

Tom

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know
I still can not under stand why people do this
They know that rustys sends the wrong shock but they order the kit any way?
then with all the info out and well if you realy shop the better quality OME and Rancho combo is CHEEPER and it all fits

06Dkhaki to answer your question you need several flat washers and a good strong wrench to realy get it tight and they should be ok
I would replace them with the OME shocks befor you bend the shock mount trying to make the rustys shocks work

06Dkhaki

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. Still haven't decided what to do yet, but if I go with the OME rear shocks should I just buy the ones that Rusty's sell or different ones?

Thanks

Jason

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. Still haven't decided what to do yet, but if I go with the OME rear shocks should I just buy the ones that Rusty's sell or different ones?

Thanks

Jason

You can buy them from whomever sells them (OME shocks that is). I have the Rancho RSX shocks on my lift and they still required me to add additional washers. Not 3 of them though.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you guys on the washers in the top shock mount. I had to add two on each side and one where the bolt goes in because after tighting it so hard the bolt started going in the metal. I could see the metal shavings on the ground. As for my opinion on the lift, you already bought it so just install the rustys shocks and if anything you can always upgrade to the Best (OME that is). It only takes 30 minutes per side to swap the shocks out.

Members online

No members online now.