Rusty's 2.5" coil lift. Urgent!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Rusty's kit and was wondering what stock components may get re-used. Reason I ask is that I went to a local 4WD shop to get them installed, they told me they wouldn't work. Bear with me here as I'm new to all this and don't know the correct terminology. The "strut collars" that fit inside the front coils have alot of play side to side. The guy from the shop told me the collars should fit without play. Makes sense to me. He then wondered if maybe they use some piece from the stock unit that takes up the play between the spring and the collar. Are the Rusty's coils the same I.D. as the stock Springs? If so, might they use the stock (why would they give me new ones) collars? I'm scheduled to have my kit installed at another shop tomorrow a.m., and don't want to get that "call" half way thru the install telling me the kit won't fit. Any help you can give me (ASAP) would be appreciated. Thanks!

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished installing mine yesterday. Yes, you will need to disassemble your stock struts. The pieces you need are the rubber spacers at each end of the springs, the top plate, and the washer that holds top plate to the strut shaft. You can see the pieces that are old in these pics...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I'd be a bit worried about a mechanic that can't figure it out. I did and I have minimal auto mechanics exp.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Got pics? many poeple have had(or done themselfs) this lift installed with no problems.I'd have to see what you are talking about then I can give more help.

Sorry, no pics. I told the guy that many have installed this kit with great success. He scratched his head and said maybe they used stock components to do the install. I'm wondering if maybe I got the 1 in 1000 kit with the wrong collars? At any rate, I think I'll call and cancel my 8:00 appointment for install tomorrow until I learn more. Thanks for any and all input in advance.

Just saw the latest post (I'm a slow typer and it was added while I was composing)) and have renewed hope. Luckily the guy doing the install is not the same as the one who told me no way. Thanks K Dje Ryu!

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did and simply edited my post. Thanks for your help! Install is still on. Any pics of your finished product?

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only things you are replacing for the front are struts and springs. Take a picture of everything Rusty sent you and post it here so we can see what you got and know if you are missing anything.

Here is a picture of everything you should have. The parts that are black and cylindrical and the disk shaped parts next to the struts, go with the struts. A nut, I believe for the top of the strut.

You must be registered for see images

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got all except the hardware located far right/middle in white blisterpac. It's been said I don't need the plastic "sleeves". True?

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get any decent pics, yet (stuck in a parking spot between a concrete wall and a Chevy p/u) and the batteries in my camera just died. As for the plastic dust sleeves, I don't see why you couldn't leave them off but, for that extra bit of protection, they can't hurt. They don't affect height or anything, either, just keep crap off the strut shaft.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some people use them for extra height. I don't feel I need it. Some use them for extra strength, in case the strut takes a hard hit, to keep it from being shoved into the clevis but, I torqued it pretty tight and I don't do any real hard wheeling so I don't really think I need it. That could change if I get an aftermarket bumper but, for now, it's good enough, I think.

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the kit installed today and couldn't be happier with what it's done for my KJ. Besides looking great, the ride and handling characteristics are incredible. Bumps and potholes that used to rattle my teeth before are now all but eliminated. Body roll in turns is much less and the overall feel can be summed up in one word.......planted. The dampening and rebound on both the shocks and struts is excellant. I'll take pics soon and post them along side the pics of the stock setup I've posted in the "Post Your KJ Pics section" \:D/

cpliberty04

Reaction score
I didn't receive any of the hardware shown on the right side of the picture either. None of the red things in the plastic baggies or the nuts & bolts shown.

Looks like I'm missing some parts? :-k

sgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to worry. Don't need the hardware, and if you got the OME upgrade the "red things" (shock rubbers) are already pre-installed. Yesterday I was sweatin' bullets, today I'm the voice of calm. Go Figure! 8-[

cpliberty04

Reaction score
Thanks sgoat. I was hoping since my shocks and struts are both yellow, OME upgrade, that the kit would be slightly different.