Rusted out Transmission Pan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't post too often here but have been doing some searches. We came home yesterday afternoon to a nice river of ****** fluid in the driveway. Upon inspection, the transmission pan has rusted through. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help with.

First, it appears that Jeep put a slightly deeper pan on the 42RLE transmission in 2007 with a part number of 52852912AC, can anyone confirm this will fit on the 2003 or has anyone installed this pan?

Second, I know the new pan requires a new magnet, part number 4446728.

Can anyone confirm the transmission filter part number, I have 52852913AB so I don't think there is a part number change required with the new pan.

Finally, I have been looking for prices on the pan and see some in the mid $40 range and then some in the $15 range and then again some are under $10. What is going on, are these really the same original Mopar part?

Hoping someone has installed this pan and can confirm it can be used.

Thanks

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a PML pan, cast aluminum and better capacity.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheaper ones are aftermarket, not OEM and will do the same thing in a shorter timeframe.

But the prices quoted are from Chrysler dealers. I actually bought the pan locally this morning from a dealer at list cost of $21.85. Dealer cost is probably around $12-$15.

So the lesson learned for anyone following this thread, the transmission pans on E-bay for $40 plus with free shipping is that you are paying over $20 for the free shipping. Go to your local dealer for the part.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Often times I find the less-expensive part on a Mopar site online, and my local dealer will price match. I win.

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this morning I used my Miti-vac to pump out the fluid (as mush as possible) from the transmission dipstick and then loosened the pan. Had one bolt that didn't feel right coming out and was tight. Hit is with PB Blaster and then worked it back and forth slowly out. It took out some aluminum but I used a thread chaser (not a tap) to clean the hole and it seems OK. Even though I pumped out the fluid, it was still a bath and mess but now the pan is drained and on the car loose until I get the new parts.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the oil pan on the 3.7L engine as well - unrelated but similar.

I noticed during my last oil change that the oil pan had some rust spots on it. Is there anything I can do now like sanding the rust spots and coating them with something to prevent it rusting all the way through? Last thing I want is to have a problem with that pan since that is not a simple repair and my warranty is up this October!

Thanks!

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I started researching the transmission pan, I found a number of oil pan issues as well. My plan is to clean it up a bit and either hit it with Por-15 or as an alternatuve spray both pans with Mercury Marine Corrosion Guard. From what I have read, these problems are common up north and the oil pan is a major job to replace. The transmission pan is not fun either but at least you can get it off without major work.