Rust Under High Brake Light - How to Clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I'm embarking on my first attempt at some "clean" body work. I noticed some paint bubbling on the seam along the top of my hatch, just under the high brake light.

Well, I finally pulled the light and noticed paint bubbling under the brake light as well. I'm guessing somewhere's along the way water got in and started rusting it from the inside.

It's some pretty deep rust along the seam. By the time I cleaned it up, I've got quite a bit of work to do. In some spots, the two pieces of metal are no longer welded together, due to the rust eating out the welds.

I'm no body guy...so I'm kinda clueless what to do for a clean fix. So far I've just used a wire-cup brush, and a cut-off wheel to clean out the rust I could get to down to clean metal. I'm sort of limited when it comes to body tools.

Anyways, it would seem to me I got everything down to a good place to work back from. However, it's by no means smooth or pretty. So I have two questions:

1) - Do I need to use something to bond the seam back together?
2) - Is bondo OK to use for that purpose, and if so, what if anything, do I need to do to prep for it?

I'll see if I can upload some pics to my site and link them here.

Thanks!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics to give you an idea....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
Imo it nees to be taken to a body shop for a profesional repair. You cannot clean rust away and just grind it off. You need to cut a distance around it to prevent it from coming back.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like just surface rust. You should be able to paint it with some sort of rust killer & primer before painting it with a matching top coat of paint.

Good thing you caught it before it perforated the body. Then you would have to cut out a section and weld in a patch.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, looks like its just surface rust. You need to remove all of the peeling paint around it though and make sure theres no more rust. Tape the area off good and get a good primer on it that prevents rust like LibertyFever said then have it painted.

I keep that area covered in grease on mine. I pack that seem pull of grease to keep water out and rust from forming. So far so good.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That appears to be a good example of salt corrosion, eating away because it was never cleaned / painted and kept dry in this area.
Based on the seam splitting, I am also with DirtyKK on this one, time for pro body repair.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
This is very common no matter where you live. I put clear silicone caulking around my brake light and that put a stop to it for now. I still have to complete the repair though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very common no matter where you live. I put clear silicone caulking around my brake light and that put a stop to it for now. I still have to complete the repair though.
Not if you actually take care of your vehicle and wash it more then once a year.9 years and my KJ is rust free,even in that area.Yeah I spend more at the carwash then at the gas pump but my KJ is super easy to work on since no rusted bolts,but working at a bodyshop for some time opens your eyes and you'll wash your vehicle more often also after knowing what all that junk does to your paint and other things.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not if you actually take care of your vehicle and wash it more then once a year.9 years and my KJ is rust free,even in that area.Yeah I spend more at the carwash then at the gas pump but my KJ is super easy to work on since no rusted bolts,but working at a bodyshop for some time opens your eyes and you'll wash your vehicle more often also after knowing what all that junk does to your paint and other things.

Agreed....whenever I wax, I like to put a coat of wax behind the lights and what not....

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i've only had this for a year, and i can't speak for the previous care that has been provided. i'm not over zealous on washing/waxing....but i do regularly wash my vehicles with a quick wash every now and then, and also take the opportunity to give them a thorough washing during the winter when salt is all over the place.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I sprayed the roof the roof rails,3rd brake light,and the washer nozzle were removed,so yes behind the 3rd brake light got coated.

That's nice to have, but one does have to wonder, how much weight did that add? (Not to mention, cost of doing.)

On the other hand, I'm just going to fix mine myself. Bought some filler, and I'm just going to clean it out, put some rust kill on it, then smooth it out with some body filler. I'll top-coat it with some black enamel, as most of this won't be visible anyways.

Far as I'm concerned, as long as the original leak that caused the issue gets fixed, this shouldn't continue to be an issue.

Thanks all!

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score

I don't disagree... I take care of my Jeep very well and she runs great, but washing it everyweek is not a priority nor do I have the time. Wax behind the lights? Too much effort of a 9 year old vehicle...IMO

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mines 6 years old I still pull the lights at least three, most of the time four times a year, as well as the spare tire bracket to wash and wax in behind them.
It get "hand washed" at home at least once a week. If there is a lot of salt on the roads then I'll also go through the spray wash and hose it off underneath before I come home.
I also never let mud sit on mine or caked up underneath after wheeling trips, it gets cleaned right away.
Sprsonic said he couldn't believe how clean mine was underneath when he installed my gears. He was thinking the age plus over 145,000 miles and having been wheeled it would have some rust, but nothing

Latest posts

Members online