Rust Under High Brake Light - How to Clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I cleaned it up as best as I could. Here's a pic of my handiwork. I need to smooth down the tape edges still, and I'm letting it cure before coating it with some wax. I didn't have the right grit sandpaper to finish down the edges.

I'm sure this isn't the prettiest work you'll ever see, but for what it is, it'll do.

Here's a before and after pic. It was dark when I took the after, so I'll try to get another one in some light, and after I get it all cleaned up.

Before

You must be registered for see images attach

After

You must be registered for see images attach

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with TJKJ. Rust is caused by neglect. I live in a coastal area with a shit ton of rain. Lots of salt air and rainfall. I have never had a rust spot on a painted area.

While I agree that the majority of rust is caused by neglect, this could also have been a defect with a seal. What has happened here is moisture got in behind the tail-light, and into the weld seem. There is no other rust on this Jeep, except for maybe the undercarriage.

greg_kj

Reaction score
Please add some oil-based anti-corrosion liquid there through the lamp hole. Eg. http://www.rust-stop.ca
It should leak down between the welding spots and neutralize the corrosion inside. The seams on Liberty are not sealed, like on more expensive cars. So the oil-based corrosion-preventive materials are the must for their treatment.
You may notice two bulges on this seam on the left and the right sides, these are for the drainage/ventilation purpose. Make shure they are not clogged.

To do the repair 100% right, you'd better split the seam, cleaned it from the inside and welded back together. Also bodyshops use the professional materials (acid primers) not available in spray cans.

family KJ

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
While I agree that the majority of rust is caused by neglect, this could also have been a defect with a seal. What has happened here is moisture got in behind the tail-light, and into the weld seem. There is no other rust on this Jeep, except for maybe the undercarriage.

That was my point originally... If you look at previous posts, many have this same problem. I have none anywhere except in that top corner at the seal..

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my point originally... If you look at previous posts, many have this same problem. I have none anywhere except in that top corner at the seal..

Yeah, this was definitely a leaking seal problem. Being that I live in the salt-belt, that probably didn't help things either, but either way, it is fixed now.

I also put a bead of silicone in a C shape around the top and sides of the tail-light housing, as well as added some more across the top of the tail-light after a test-fit showed it was still not seating tightly.

BTW, I also put down a coat of rust-kill primer before painting.

Hopefully this is resolved and will last as long as I keep the Jeep.